This easy, homemade buffalo sauce recipe is perfect for wings, chicken, vegetables and more. Smooth, buttery hot sauce with a kick.
We love pouring this sauce over air fryer chicken legs, air fryer chicken thighs and simple chicken breasts. It’s also perfect to use for buffalo chicken pasta and buffalo chicken wraps.
I like making sauces at home, like this taco sauce, because it’s easy to control the ingredients. Our whole family loves buffalo sauce but the kids prefer a more mild sauce and we like it hot.
Making it at home makes it easier to add or take away spices so I make a mild version for them and hot for us. Win win!
Why you will love this homemade sauce
- So much better than store bought. This Buffalo sauce recipe is seriously good stuff!
- You can adjust the spiciness level.
- Great for game day food, party appetizers, and dinner.
Why do they call it buffalo sauce?
No, it’s not named for the large, hairy animal, it’s actually named for Buffalo, New York were it was created.
There is a difference between hot sauce and Buffalo sauce. Hot sauce usually is made of peppers, vinegar and spices. Buffalo sauce is all of these things plus melted butter. This make it rich, smooth and so delicious.
Many store bought versions actually use oil instead of butter. That’s another reason this homemade version is so good. I’ll say it again, butter makes everything better.
What is it made of?
Hot sauce – You can find several different varieties at the store, we like Frank’s Red Hot.
Butter – Unsalted works the best so you can control the taste.
Worcestershire sauce – Adds a balance that ties the other ingredients together.
Vinegar – White vinegar adds a nice little tang to the sauce.
Optional Cayenne pepper – This adds some extra heat for those that like it really spicy.
How to make Buffalo sauce from scratch
Scroll to the bottom for full, printable instructions, ingredients and video.
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium low heat.
- Whisk in hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce and vinegar.
- Turn off heat and let sauce cool.
Can you make it in advance?
Yes, feel free to make this before you need to use. The sauce will last in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
How to store
Store: This will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. You might need to reheat on low in a saucepan or about 10 seconds in the microwave.
Freeze: I would recommend not freezing this sauce. The butter breaks down and I have found it doesn’t come back together very well once thawed.
- Heat the butter on medium low or even low heat to make sure it doesn’t brown or burn.
- Frank’s Red hot sauce works really well for this recipe. I would recommend not using Tabasco because it tends to be very spicy. If you like spicy, you could add a few splashes of Tabasco to the mixture instead of Cayenne.
- To add heat and spice, add more Cayenne pepper.
- For a larger batch, double the recipe ingredients.
- Try using this sauce to make buffalo ranch dip.
Ways to use Buffalo Sauce
- Buffalo chicken wings
- Dip for fish sticks
- Marinade for baked chicken
- Chicken tenders
- Mix with ranch dressing for a delicious dip
- Pulled pork or pork chops
- Chicken croquettes
- Roasted cauliflower
More delicious homemade sauces
- Tartar sauce – Creamy sauce that’s perfect for seafood and chicken.
- Copycat Chick-Fil-A sauce – Tastes just like the restaurant. Use for chicken sandwiches, nuggets and more.
- Cocktail sauce – Easy cocktail sauce, you will never buy store sauce again.
- Teriyaki sauce – Use for stir fry, teriyaki chicken and more.
- Green pasta sauce – Beautiful and easy pasta sauce that is full of nutrients and flavor.
*** If you made this recipe, feel free to leave a comment and star rating below.
- 1 cup hot sauce
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Optional for extra heat
- 1/8 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- Melt butter in a saucepan on medium low heat. Mix in hot sauce, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce until combined.
- Remove from heat. Let cool and serve. Add 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper for extra spice.
Buffalo sauce recipe looks incredibly delicious! Thanks for sharing it with us!
Mama Maggie's Kitchen
This Buffalo Sauce Recipe looks really yummy! My husband will definitely love this.
I have all the ingredients to make some Buffalo hot sauce this weekend, I’m going to try this version!
I love making my own sauces too. Mr. G would love this.
This looks easy to make! We love buffalo sauce and always order it when possible. I can’t wait to try it.
This sauce is fabulous! So great to make it at home now with your recipe!
This could be used for SOOOO many things to JAZZ them up and I love it!!
OK now this sounds like some delicious sauce! I have to admit I don’t think I’ve tried buffalo sauce before.
Aww yeah. I love Buffalo sauce. I put it on everything. I can’t wait to make this!