Chicken wings are a fun, delicious appetizer or meal. Serve them for game day, a party, or even dinner. We are answering how long to bake chicken wings and including a recipe for easy, crispy wings.
This simple baked chicken wings recipe is made with flavorful butter and a simple spice mix. They are baked to perfection in the oven in under an hour.
Table of contents
How long to bake chicken wings at 400 degrees
Cooking time may vary depending on the size of the wings but in general it will take 40-45 minutes to bake chicken wings at 400 degrees F.
Chicken wings – Use fresh chicken wings. I like purchasing the wings that have already been trimmed.
Butter – Unsalted butter is used to help get crispy skin. You can substitute with 2 tablespoons of olive oil or vegetable oil if you prefer. I think the butter adds a rich flavor to the wings.
How to cook chicken wings in the oven
Step one: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper and place an oven-safe wire rack on top. Spray the rack with non-stick cooking spray. (If you don’t have a rack, place them on foil sprayed with non-stick spray.)
Step two: Stir seasonings together in a small bowl. Place chicken wings in a large bowl. Pour melted butter and seasoning mix over wings. Toss to coat.
Step three: Place chicken wings on prepared rack. Bake at 400 degrees F for 40-45 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
Step four: Carefully remove from the oven and serve wings hot.
What is the best temperature to bake chicken wings?
Cooking wings at a high heat helps to get the skin nice and crispy. That is why we recommend baking them at 400 degrees F oven temperature. This will give you crispy skin while also fully cooking the chicken.
Wings can be baked at 350 degrees but the chicken skin tends to not get as crispy and they need to bake longer, typically 45-60 minutes.
- To get crispy wings, make sure to pat them dry with paper towels before adding butter and seasonings.
- Save time by buying party style wings which is a mixture of drummettes and wingettes.
- Lining the baking sheet with foil or parchment paper helps you have less mess and easy cleanup.
How to store leftovers
Store: Store any leftover wings in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will last up to 4 days.
Reheat: Wings can be reheated a number of ways. Be sure to check out 5 ways to reheat chicken wings for the easiest way.
How to serve chicken wings
Chicken wings make a delicious appetizer or even main meal. Try serving with your favorite sauces like:
You can also serve wings with a tasty side dish for a full meal.
More easy chicken recipes
How Long To Bake Chicken Wings
- 2-3 pounds chicken wings
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and place an oven-safe rack on top. Spray the rack with non-stick cooking spray. (If you don't have a rack, place them on foil sprayed with non-stick spray.)
- Stir seasonings together in a small bowl. Place chicken wings in a large bowl. Pour melted butter and seasoning mix over wings. Toss to coat.
- Place chicken wings on prepared rack. Bake at 400 degrees F for 40-45 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Carefully remove from the oven and serve wings hot.