Buffalo Chicken Pasta Bake
Sep 08, 2020, Updated Oct 25, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Buffalo chicken pasta is a creamy, flavorful and easy meal. Full of chicken, pasta, cheese, and buffalo sauce, this is a casserole dinner that’s sure to be a big hit. Be sure to check out these tips and tricks for making the best buffalo chicken pasta recipe.
Why you’ll love this recipe
This buffalo chicken pasta casserole is a quick and easy comfort food meal. A great mix of chicken, cheese, pasta, and buffalo sauce that will leave you feeling satisfied. Sure to become a family favorite meal.
- Chicken – Use any kind of cooked chicken you have on hand like rotisserie chicken, cooked chicken breasts, crockpot buffalo chicken, or even canned chicken.
- Buffalo sauce – I like using Frank’s buffalo wing sauce or this easy homemade buffalo sauce.
- Pasta – Choose your favorite pasta. I like using rigatoni, mostaccioli, penne pasta, ziti, or rotini.
- Cheese – I used a mixture a of mozzarella cheese and colby jack cheese.
- Cream cheese – Be sure to soften the cream cheese to make it easier to mix.
- Ranch dressing – This adds creaminess and flavor to the dish. You can also replace ranch with blue cheese dressing.
- Garlic powder – Adds extra flavor. Feel free to omit if you don’t like garlic.
- Optional – Diced green onions and or blue cheese crumbles for garnish.
How to make Buffalo Chicken Pasta
Scroll to the bottom for full, printable recipe, ingredients and video.
- Pasta: Cook pasta according to the package directions. Drain off water once finished cooking.
- Mix: In a large bowl, stir together cream cheese, buffalo sauce, garlic powder, and ranch dressing until combined. Stir in shredded chicken and half of the cheese. Stir in cooked pasta.
- Bake: Spray a 9 x 13 casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Pour mixture into the dish and top with extra cheese. Bake at 350 degrees F. for approximately 20 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Tips and Variations
- Let the cream cheese soften at room temperature before mixing with other ingredients. If limited on time, place the cream cheese in the microwave for 10-15 seconds to help soften.
- Try adding a few vegetables for added texture. Saute 1 cup of diced celery and 1/4 cup diced onion for 4-5 minutes and add to the pasta mixture before baking,
- I recommend shredding your own cheese. It melts really well and is so much more creamy. Pre-shredded cheese works well too but there is something so delicious about freshly shredded cheese.
- Don’t have buffalo sauce, make your own or substitute with Frank’s Red Hot sauce.
How to store
Store: Be sure that the buffalo chicken pasta bake has completely cooled. Cover with foil and store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. You can store leftovers in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator.
How to freeze buffalo chicken pasta bake
Freeze after baking: Make sure the casserole is completely cooled. Place in a freezer safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator and reheat in the oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until warmed through.
Freeze before baking: You can also freeze before baking. Assemble the casserole and then place in a freezer safe casserole dish. Cover tightly with foil and place in the freezer.
What to serve with this Buffalo Chicken Pasta Recipe
A few favorite side dishes to serve with this pasta dish are:
Buffalo chicken is typically spicy. The heat can vary depending on the sauce and spices used.
More easy pasta recipes
- Baked mostaccioli – Cheesy pasta bake with crumbled Italian sausage.
- Baked ravioli – Ravioli baked with sauce and cheese.
- Fiesta chicken casserole – Pasta baked with chicken, cheese, black beans, corn, and more.
- Green pasta sauce – Delicious and nutritious sauce made with spinach.
- Pork noodle casserole – Egg noodles, veggies, and pork.
Let me know if you made this chicken casserole below.
Buffalo Chicken Pasta Recipe
- 16 oz uncooked rigatoni pasta
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce (I use Frank's Buffalo sauce or homemade.)
- 1/2 cup ranch salad dressing (You can substitute with blue cheese dressing.)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/2 cups colby jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook pasta according to box directions. Drain water once finished cooking.
- In a large bowl, stir together softened cream cheese, buffalo sauce, ranch dressing and garlic powder. Stir in cooked chicken and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/2 cup colby jack cheese. Stir in cooked pasta.
- Spray 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick spray. Pour pasta mixture in baking dish. Top with remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cheese melts.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.