These chocolate Rice Krispie Treats are easy to make and a delicious chocolate version of a classic cereal treat. Made with mini chocolate chips, this no bake dessert is perfect for chocolate lovers.
Why this recipe is the best
Simple – This easy recipe can be made in about 20 minutes from start to finish with just a few ingredients. A great recipe that even the kids can help make.
No Bake – You have to love a no-bake dessert that doesn’t require turning on the oven.
Chewy – This recipe makes delicious thick, chocolatey krispie squares.
Ingredients for the best cereal treats
Cocoa Rice Krispie Cereal – These have a nice chocolate flavor with the same crunch as the original crispy rice cereal.
Marshmallows – I like using large marshmallows for this recipe. It helps make them extra gooey and delicious. This recipe uses 60 large marshmallows.
You can substitute with 5 cups of mini marshmallows if you have those on hand.
Butter – Unsalted butter is used for this recipe.
Vanilla Extract – This is optional but adds a nice hint of warm sweetness.
Chocolate Chips – I am using mini semi-sweet chocolate chips. You can substitute with milk chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips.
How to make chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
Step one: Melt butter over low heat in a large pot or saucepan. Add 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips in with the melted butter and stir to melt the chocolate.
Step two: Pour in marshmallows and continue to stir until marshmallows are melted. Remove from heat and pour in vanilla extract.
Step three: Add in cocoa krispies and stir until coated. Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips.
Step four: Line a 9×9 dish with parchment paper, lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray. Place cereal mixture into prepared dish. Use the butter wrapper or put a little water on your finger tips and gently press mixture into the baking dish.
- Use parchment paper to line the baking dish. This makes it easier to remove the treats from the dish.
- Use large, fresh marshmallows. I find the larger marshmallows give a better texture.
- Make sure not to press too hard. Gently press the cereal mixture into the dish. This helps keep them soft and “fluffy”.
- If you have a crowd, they can be made in a 9 x 13 dish. The treats will be a little thinner.
- Add colorful sprinkles after putting in the dish to add some fun color.
- Like sweet and savory? Add a few pinches of flaked salt to the top.
How to store Rice Krispie Treats
These treats can be stored covered in an airtight container at room temperature. They will last about a week.
Did you make this chocolate rice krispie treat recipe? Let me know below in the comments.
More easy chocolate desserts
Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 50 large marshmallows
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips divided
- 6 cups Cocoa Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Melt butter over low heat in a large saucepan. Add in 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips and stir to melt.
- Pour in marshmallows and continue to stir until marshmallows are melted. Remove from heat and pour in vanilla extract.
- Add in chocolate Rice Krispies and stir until coated. Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips.
- Line a 9×9 dish with parchment paper, lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray. Place cereal mixture into dish. Use the butter wrapper or put a little water on your finger tips and gently press the cereal into the dish.
Leave a Reply