Baked Chicken Breast – Only four ingredients to make this perfectly tender all-purpose baked chicken.
Chicken is always popular in our house. This super easy baked chicken breast recipe is one that I use almost every week. I will cut up the meat to serve with a side like these loaded ranch mashed potatoes or broccoli cheese casserole. This chicken also works well on top of a salad for added protein.
How to bake chicken breast
- Start with chicken breasts. I like to place mine between two sheets of wax paper and use a meat mallet or rolling pin to pound them out for even thickness. This step is not necessary but I find it helps cook the breasts evenly.
- Season both sides of the chicken with a mixture of seasoned salt and ground black pepper. I also enjoy using Italian blend spices or even simple salt, garlic powder and pepper.
- Place the chicken in a casserole dish and top with butter. Butter makes everything better 🙂 In this case it adds a nice flavor and crispness to the outside of the chicken. If you are not crazy about butter, replace with olive oil.
- Bake chicken at 425 degrees F for approximately 20 minutes. The time will depend on the thickness of the chicken breast.
- Remove from oven and cover with foil to rest for about 5 minutes. This helps lock in the juices.
How to season baked chicken breasts
There are so many spice combinations that would add flavor to baked chicken. I typically use all-purpose season salt. Other ideas:
- Italian Seasoning Blend
- Greek Seasoning Blend
- Fajita Seasoning
- Creole Seasoning
- Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder and Paprika
How long to bake chicken breast?
I like to bake my chicken breast at 425 degrees F for approximately 20-25 minutes. The key is making sure your chicken reaches an internal temperature of 170 degrees F to ensure it is fully cooked. Use a meat thermometer to check on the temperature while the chicken is baking. If you cut into the meat all of the juices will escape and you don’t want that!!
Can you freeze cooked baked chicken breast?
Yes! If you decide to bake up a few extra breasts, you can put them in the freezer. Let the chicken completely cool and then wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Place the wrapped chicken in freezer bags and freeze until ready to eat. Thaw them out before you are ready to eat.
More Chicken Recipes:
Easy Baked Chicken Breast
- 4 chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Using a meat mallet or rolling pin, pound the chicken breast out to even thickness.
- Rub both sides of chicken with seasoned salt and pepper. Place in a baking dish.
- Place cut up butter on top of chicken and bake for approximately 20 minutes or until meat thermometer reads 170 degrees F.
- Remove from oven and cover with foil. Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.