Air Fryer Chicken Legs are juicy, crispy and taste like fried chicken without all the extra oil. These chicken drumsticks make a wonderful dinner for a busy night.
These air fryer chicken legs have quickly become a family favorite. They go with so many different side dishes and can be made quickly. We also like to occasionally add either BBQ sauce, wing sauce or teriyaki sauce.
There are many reasons I love cooking with an air fryer:
- They give food a crispy, “fried” texture without excess oil.
- Don’t have to turn on the stove or oven and easy to use.
- Super simple to clean.
Why this air fryer chicken drumsticks recipe works
- Crispy skin without all the extra grease.
- Low-carb, gluten-free and Keto friendly recipe.
- Cook up fast, 30 minutes.
- Can use different seasoning or sauces to change the flavor profile.
Ingredients needed for this recipe
Chicken drumsticks – These are typically very affordable and easy to cook.
Olive oil – You could also use avocado, vegetable or canola oil.
Spices – Feel free to use your favorite seasoning. For this recipe we are using a blend of paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
How to make air fryer chicken legs
Scroll down for full printable recipe, ingredients and video.
- Preheat: Preheat air fryer according to machine’s instructions or at 390 for 3-5 minutes.
- Prepare: Pat chicken dry and place in either a large, food storage bag or a large bowl. Pour oil over chicken and coat. Add seasoning and toss to coat.
- Cook: Place drumsticks in air fryer basket. Cook at 390 degrees F for 10 minutes. Flip chicken over and cook again at 390 degrees F for another 10 minutes.
If you would like to add sauce, wait until they have finished cooking and then toss in the sauce.
You can also spread on BBQ sauce the last five minutes of cooking for a “baked-in” BBQ flavor.
Tips for the best drumsticks
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel before coating them with oil and spices to help get nice, crisp skins.
- Don’t put too many chicken legs in the air fryer. Be sure not to stack them because you want the hot air to be able to circulate around the food to achieve even cooking.
- Try to avoid checking on the chicken too often so that the heat does not escape.
- Use a digital thermometer to make sure the chicken reaches an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees F.
- If you want to cook more than 8 drumsticks, double the amount of oil and spices.
How long to cook chicken drumsticks in air fryer?
One thing to keep in mind when cooking with air fryers is each brand can cook a little different when it comes to times. My chicken legs cooked in 20 minutes with the Cosori 6.8 quart. If the internal temperature hasn’t reached 165 degrees F, add 2-5 minutes to cooking time.
How to store
- Store: Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Leave on the bone or remove the meat from the bone for easier use.
- Freeze: To freeze, let them completely cool, place on a baking sheet in the freezer until legs are frozen. Place in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Can you cook frozen drumsticks in the air fryer? Yes, you can cook them from frozen, just add another 10 minutes to the cook time.
- Reheat: Reheat in the oven at 350 for about 10 minutes or back in the air fryer for 3-4 minutes. You can also remove the meat from the bone and heat in the microwave.
More air fryer dinner recipes
- Air fryer chicken breasts – These cook up quick and can be used for many different recipes.
- Air fryer rotisserie chicken – Whole chicken in the air fryer is perfect for meal preparation.
- Air fryer meatloaf – Classic dish with crispy outside and tender inside.
- Air fryer fajitas – Seasoned steak and veggies cook up quick.
- Air fryer grilled cheese – Serve with salad or soup for an easy meal.
- Air fryer hamburgers – No need for the grill, these cook up juicy and delicious.
Feel free to join our Easy Air Fryer Recipe Facebook Group.
*** If you made this recipe, please feel free to leave a comment and star rating below.
Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks
- 6-8 chicken drumsticks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat air fryer for 2-5 minutes.
- Pat drumsticks dry with paper towel. In a small bowl, mix together paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Place chicken in a large bowl or food storage bag. Pour oil and spices over chicken. Mix around until chicken is coated.
- Add chicken to air fryer basket. Cook at 390 degrees for 10 minutes. Flip drumsticks over and cook for another 10 minutes at 390 degrees F.
- Serve warm.