Learn how easy it is to make perfectly cooked air fryer tator tots. Scroll down to get instructions for time, temperature and video.
I am such a huge fan of air frying. It can be used to make so many different recipes. I bought mine a few years ago and still using it at least a few times a week.
If you are not familiar with using this kitchen appliance, be sure to check out this Times and Temperatures Cheat Sheet for quick reference. I keep a copy in my kitchen drawer.
What are tator tots?
They are basically grated potatoes that are deep fried and typically in the shape of a cylinder. In other words, a little bite of yum!
How to make
Scroll down for printable recipe and ingredients.
- Pour your favorite frozen tots in the air fryer basket. Cook at 400 degrees for 5 minutes.
- Take basket out and give it a shake. Cook for another 4-5 minutes depending on how crispy you like them.
Should I add oil?
You do not need to add any extra oil to these tator tots. They are already precooked and once they heat up the grease will come out.
Do I preheat?
Preheating for this recipe is not necessary. Many models of air fryers call for them to be preheated but I have found you can skip that step for these.
I do recommend preheating for 2-3 minutes when cooking fish and meat.
Frozen cauliflower tots in air fryer
If you prefer frozen cauliflower or broccoli tots, you can use this method.
Frozen crispy crowns
Crispy crowns are just a smaller version of tator tots. Use the same time and temperature for the crowns.
- Make sure to cook in single layer. You want the hot air to be able to circulate around each of them to get crispy on the outside.
- Use these tots as a base for nachos, pulled pork or even chili.
Best Air Fryer to use?
There are many wonderful brands and models on the market today. Consider how many people in your family and how much you will be using the machine before you decide on the best one for you.
- I use the 5.8 quart Corsi Air Fryer. It’s easy to use and clean. I enjoy the digital touchscreen and they also send a recipe book. Corsi also makes a smaller 3.7 quart version.
- The 4 quart Ninja Air Fryer is a great option if you don’t need a large fry basket.
- The 7.6 quart OMORC is wonderful and reasonably priced.
More delicious air fryer recipes
- Roasted Potatoes are one of the easiest side dishes to make.
- Roasted Brussels Sprout turn out slightly crispy on the outside and so easy roast in the air fryer.
- Rotisserie Chicken is a great thing to make and use for different recipes throughout the week.
- Hard Boiled Eggs can be made right in the air fryer.
- Potato Skins a classic appetizer filled with all the fixins.
- Bacon wrapped asparagus a beautiful and tasty side dish.
- Bacon wrapped pineapple bites are a delicious combination of sweet and salty.
***If you made this recipe, please feel free to leave a comment and star rating below.
Air Fryer Tator Tots
- 1 bag favorite tator tots
- 1/8 teaspoon salt optional
- Place a layer of frozen tator tots in the air fryer basket. Cook at 400 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- Give the basket a shake and then return to air fryer and cook for another 5 minutes or until desired crispiness.
- Optional sprinkle with salt or seasoning.