Air Fryer Tater Tots
Apr 07, 2020, Updated Nov 11, 2020
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Learn how easy it is to make perfectly cooked air fryer tater tots. Crispy tater tots that tastes like they were fried without all the oil. Find out how easy it is to make frozen tater tots in the air fryer!
We make these frozen tater tots at least once a week. Sometimes we do switch it up and have frozen french fries or onion rings but these tots are a favorite. It’s just one of those easy side dishes that I know everyone will eat.
I am such a huge fan of air frying. It can be used to make so many different recipes. I bought mine a few years ago and still using it at least a few times a week.
If you are not familiar with using this kitchen appliance, be sure to check out this Times and Temperatures Cheat Sheet for quick reference. I keep a copy in my kitchen drawer.
What are tater tots?
They are basically grated potatoes that are deep fried and typically in the shape of a cylinder. In other words, a little bite of yum!
How to make air fryer tater tots
Scroll down for printable recipe and ingredients.
- Cook: Pour your favorite frozen tots in the air fryer basket. Cook at 400 degrees for 5 minutes.
- Shake: Take basket out and give it a shake.
- Cook again: Cook for another 4-5 minutes depending on how crispy you like them.
How long to cook frozen tater tots in air fryer?
Each air fryer does cook a little differently but I would recommend a total cooking time of about 10 minutes at 400 degrees F. If you prefer them more crispy, add another two to three minutes.
Should I add oil?
You do not need to add any extra oil to these tater tots. They are already precooked and once they heat up the grease will come out.
Do I preheat?
Preheating for this recipe is not necessary. Many models of air fryers call for them to be preheated but I have found you can skip that step for these.
I do recommend preheating for 2-3 minutes when cooking fish and meat.
How to cook frozen cauliflower tots in air fryer?
If you prefer frozen cauliflower or broccoli tots, you can use this same cooking method.
How long to cook frozen crispy crowns in air fryer?
Crispy crowns are just a smaller version of tater tots. Use the same time and temperature for the crowns.
Tips for making the best frozen air fryer tater tots
- Make sure to cook in single layer. You want the hot air to be able to circulate around each of them to get crispy on the outside.
- Use these tots as a base for nachos, pulled pork or even chili.
How to season?
My kids prefer their tots with plain ketchup but if you want to spice things up, here are a few great ways to season. If adding seasoning, you can either spray them with cooking spray and sprinkle on seasoning before cooking or give it a light seasoning immediately after they finish cooking and still hot.
- Seasoning salt
- Garlic powder
- Old Bay seasoning
- Cajun seasoning
How to store
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Reheat in the air fryer or oven.
Best Air Fryer to use?
There are many wonderful brands and models on the market today. Consider how many people in your family and how much you will be using the machine before you decide on the best one for you.
- I use the 5.8 quart Corsi Air Fryer. It’s easy to use and clean. I enjoy the digital touchscreen and they also send a recipe book. Corsi also makes a smaller 3.7 quart version.
- The 4 quart Ninja Air Fryer is a great option if you don’t need a large fry basket.
- The 7.6 quart OMORC is wonderful and reasonably priced.
Oven vs Air Fryer
- You will need to preheat the oven for 5 – 10 minutes compared to the air fryer that does not need to be preheated.
- You can cook a larger quantity in the oven.
- Both are pretty easy clean-up.
More delicious air fryer recipes
- Roasted Potatoes are one of the easiest side dishes to make.
- Roasted Brussels Sprout turn out slightly crispy on the outside and so easy roast in the air fryer.
- Rotisserie Chicken is a great thing to make and use for different recipes throughout the week.
- Hard Boiled Eggs can be made right in the air fryer.
- Potato Skins a classic appetizer filled with all the fixins.
- Bacon wrapped asparagus a beautiful and tasty side dish.
- Bacon wrapped pineapple bites are a delicious combination of sweet and salty.
- Air fryer pizza rolls – How to make delicious frozen pizza rolls in the air fryer.
***If you made this recipe, please feel free to leave a comment and star rating below.
Air Fryer Tater Tots
- 1 bag favorite tater tots
- 1/8 teaspoon salt optional
- Place a layer of frozen tator tots in the air fryer basket. Cook at 400 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- Give the basket a shake and then return to air fryer and cook for another 5 minutes or until desired crispiness.
- Optional sprinkle with salt or seasoning.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.