Texas Toast Sloppy Joes
Jun 21, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Texas toast sloppy Joes is a delicious, simple ground beef meal, perfect for a busy weeknight. A hearty open face sandwich that everyone will love!
Super sloppy Joes
If you are looking for an easy weeknight meal or just some good comfort food, this recipe is for you. This open faced sandwich recipe includes Sloppy Joe meat piled on garlic toast and topped with ooey gooey melted cheese
- Texas toast – Choose your favorite frozen Texas Toast. You could also use homemade Texas toast.
- Ground beef – We are using one pound of ground beef. Feel free to substitute with ground chicken, ground turkey, or even ground pork.
- Sloppy Joe sauce – Use your favorite sloppy Joe sauce or make your own homemade sloppy Joe sauce.
- Onion – Finely diced onion.
- Garlic – A clove a minced garlic.
- Cheese – Shredded mozzarella or another cheese like cheddar, or colby jack.
- Salt and ground black pepper – A little extra seasoning for the ground beef.
How to make Texas toast sloppy joes
Step one: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
Brown ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat. Make sure to break up the beef when cooking. Drain any excess grease and then add in diced onion, garlic, salt, and pepper.
Step two: Pour in the sloppy joe sauce and stir to combine. Turn the heat to low while you are cooking the toast.
Step three: Place the slices of Texas toast on prepared pan. Bake frozen garlic bread according to the box instructions. Usually it takes 4-5 minutes. Once the bread has toasted, top each piece of toast with the ground beef mixture and then shredded mozzarella cheese. Place back in the oven and cook for another 2-3 minutes for the cheese to melt.
- If you don’t want to use your oven, Texas toast can be cooked in the air fryer.
- Want to sneak in some extra vegetables? Add in 1/2 cup of diced red or green bell pepper to the meat mixture.
What to serve with sloppy Joe melts
There are so many wonderful sides to serve with this meal. A simple side salad, sweet potato fries, or roasted vegetables are some of our favorites.
How to store leftover sloppy Joe mix
Store: Store the ground beef mixture separate from the toast if possible. Keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator. You can store a full open face sandwich also, just be sure to eat it the next day before the bread gets too soft.
More ground beef recipes
- Sloppy joe tacos – A fun way to eat leftover sloppy joe mixture.
- Ground beef dip – Simple layered taco dip.
Texas Toast Sloppy Joes
- 8 pieces frozen Texas toast
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 15 ounce can Sloppy Joe sauce like Manwich
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking pan with foil or parchment paper.
- Brown a pack of ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat. Make sure to break up the beef when cooking. Drain any excess grease and then add in diced onion, garlic, salt, and pepper. Stir and cook another 3-4 minutes.
- Pour in the sloppy joe sauce and stir to combine. Turn the heat to low while you are cooking the toast.
- Place pieces of frozen Texas toast on the prepared baking pan. Bake frozen garlic bread according to the box instructions. Usually it takes 4-5 minutes.
- Once the bread has toasted, top with the ground beef mixture and then shredded cheese. Place back in the oven and cook for another 2-3 minutes for the cheese to melt.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.