Sloppy Joe Tacos
May 08, 2020, Updated Apr 19, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Sloppy Joe Tacos are a fun family meal! Easy sloppy Joe filling baked in taco shells with cheese. Use your favorite toppings to finish them off.
Everyone grows up on sloppy Joe’s, right? My dad used to make them for me all them time. He would use the canned stuff and serve them on a bun.
This recipe is almost as easy as the can but it’s all homemade. Instead of a bun, we are going to serve it in a warm, crunchy taco shell all covered with melted cheese.
Ground beef – I like to use lean ground beef but feel free to use ground turkey or chicken.
Tomato sauce and tomato paste – This is the base of the mixture.
Green pepper and onion – A few vegetables to give it some crunch.
Ground cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper – Spices to add some flavor.
Taco shells – I love crunchy corn shells but you can substitute soft flour tortillas.
Shredded cheese – Use your favorite cheese.
How to make sloppy Joe tacos
Scroll down for full printable recipe and ingredient list.
- Cook: Start by cooking the ground beef in a large pan over medium heat. Once it’s cooked through, drain excess grease. Add in diced onion and pepper and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Mix: Stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste, cumin, chili, salt and pepper.
- Stuff: Place taco shells in a casserole dish. Fill with ground beef mixture and top with cheese.
- Bake: Bake at 350 degrees for 5-7 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- If you enjoy making Sloppy Joes, try making batch of this Sloppy Joe Mix to keep in your spice cabinet.
- Make filling ahead of time and store in the refrigerator for quick meals throughout the week.
What to serve with tacos
Make this a complete meal with some of these taco side dishes.
These are great on their own but here are a few topping options to take these to the next level.
- Sour cream
- Shredded lettuce
- Pickled jalapenos
More easy dinner recipes
- Fiesta chicken pasta – Filled with shredded chicken, pasta, black beans and more.
- Sour cream noodle bake – A delicious and hearty dinner with pasta, beef and cheese.
- Meatloaf – This meatloaf has the perfect crust and moist on the inside served with a tasty sauce.
*** If you make this recipe, please feel free to leave a comment and star rating.
Sloppy Joe Tacos
- 1 box taco shells
- 1-1.5 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 15-oz can tomato sauce
- 1 6-oz can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, combine beef, onion, and pepper.
- Cook over medium heat until beef is browned and crumbled.
- Drain excess liquid.
- Stir tomato sauce, tomato paste, worcestershire, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper into beef mixture.
- Bring to boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Place taco shells in baking dish and spoon beef mixture into shells. Top with shredded cheese and bake for 5-7 minutes or until cheese has melted.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.