Air Fryer Texas Toast is easy to make homemade or from frozen. Thick bread toasted up with garlic butter spread makes a delicious side dish.
If you have any leftover bread for this dish, be sure to try this amazing cinnamon toast recipe.
Why is it called Texas toast?
It’s thought that it might have been named in the 1940’s at a pig stand in Texas. An order for thick slices of bread would not fit in the toaster so they buttered and grilled it instead.
What kind of bread for Texas toast?
Try finding thick sliced, white bread. I used pre-sliced bread but you can slice your own, about 1-inch thick.
Bread – Thick sliced white bread.
Butter – Use sweet cream, unsalted butter. By using unsalted butter, you can control the amount of sodium in the dish. Make sure the butter is softened at room temperature to make it easy to spread.
Garlic powder – Adds a nice garlic flavor. If you don’t like garlic, feel free to omit.
Fresh parsley – If you don’t have fresh, substitute dried parsley.
Salt – I like using sea salt.
How to make Texas toast garlic bread in air fryer
Scroll to the bottom for full, printable recipe, ingredients and video.
- Mix: Place softened butter in a bowl. Add in garlic powder, salt and parsley. Using back of fork, mix the butter with other ingredients.
- Spread: Spread both sides of each piece of bread with butter mixture. Place in air fryer basket.
- Toast: Place temperature to 320 degrees F and cook for 3 minutes. Flip bread over and cook another 3 minutes.
Frozen Texas toast in air fryer
- Place frozen bread in air fryer basket. Depending on size you could fit 4-5 pieces.
- Cook at 320 degrees F for 3 minutes. Flip bread over and cook another 3 minutes.
Recipe tips and variations
- Don’t stack or overlap the bread pieces in the basket. You want the hot air to be able to circulate around the whole piece.
- Set the butter out about 30 minutes before making so that it can soften. If you are short on time. Microwave it for 15-20 seconds.
- For a little variation, try adding a little shredded cheese to the top after you flip the bread so that it melts on top.
How to store
Store: If you have a few leftover pieces, wrap them up in foil or place them in an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Freeze: This bread can be frozen. Place in an airtight, bag or container being sure to try and remove any excess air to avoid frost. I also like to wrap each piece of toast with plastic wrap and then place in freezer safe bag. Will stay good for up to 3 months.
Reheat: Reheat in the oven on 350 degrees for about 5 minutes or back in the air fryer for 2-3 minutes.
How to make without air fryer?
Don’t have an air fryer yet, no problem? We love how fast and easy it is to use ours but Texas toast can also be made in the oven.
Follow the directions to make butter spread, spread both sides of bread and then place on a cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
What to serve it with Air Fryer Texas Toast?
This is great to serve as a side or have on the table for a meal. We love serving it with:
***If you tried this recipe, feel free to leave a comment and star rating below.
Air Fryer Texas Toast
- 4 pieces thick sliced bread
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh, chopped parsley
Homemade Texas Toast
- Place softened butter in a bowl. Add garlic powder, salt and parsley.
- Using the back of a fork, mash the ingredients together.
- Spread butter mixture over both sides of each piece of bread.
- Place bread in air fryer basket and cook at 320 degrees for 3 minutes. Flip bread over and cook another 3 minutes. Serve.
Frozen Texas Toast
- Place frozen Texas toast slices in air fryer basket.
- Cook at 320 degrees for 3-4 minutes. Flip over and cook another 3-4 minutes.