Cake Mix Banana Bread is an amazing semi-homemade recipe! This cake mix recipe is the perfect way to use ripe bananas for a tasty breakfast treat.
Cake mixes can be used to make so many yummy recipes like lemon cookies, M&M cookie bars, and coffee cake. Don’t be limited to the recipe on the box.
Banana bread is something we love to make when we have ripe bananas laying around. It’s a great cake mix hack when you want quick bread in a hurry. This is a fast recipe to stir together and one that my kids love helping me make.
Why this recipe works
- Don’t break out the mixer, you can stir all of these easy ingredients together in no time.
- Cake mix makes this super easy and cuts down on ingredients.
Yellow cake mix – This is the base of the bread. You can use other flavors like white, golden, spice or butter pecan. (Feel free to also use gluten free or sugar free cake mix.)
Sour cream – This recipe uses sour cream to add moisture to the bread.
Mashed bananas – Use 2-3 ripe bananas for this recipe. You can masher with a potato masher or the back of a fork.
How to make cake mix banana bread
Scroll to the bottom for full printable recipe, ingredients and video.
- Mash: Take 3 ripe bananas and mash in a large bowl.
- Preheat: Get the oven preheated to 350 degrees F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Stir: Stir in cake mix, oil, eggs and sour cream with mashed bananas.
- Bake: Pour batter into prepared 9 x 5 loaf pan OR 2 smaller loaf pans. Bake for approximately 40-45 minutes. Let cool before slicing.
- Toppings: This bread is great on it’s own but sometimes it’s fun to change things up. We love adding 3/4 cup chocolate chips and butterscotch chips to ours. You could also add chopped nuts like pecans or walnuts. Just mix the ingredients straight into the batter.
- Try spreading this delicious cinnamon butter over a piece.
- Cake mix: My favorite mix to use is butter pecan but you can also use white, spice, golden or even chocolate.
- Muffins: This batter can be used to make easy banana bread muffins. Spray a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray and fill each muffin cup about half way with batter. Cook for approximately 12 minutes or until done.
How long does cake mix banana bread last?
- This bread will stay good stored at room temperature for about 2 days. Make sure to keep it covered in an airtight container.
- Keep this banana bread in the refrigerator for up to 1 week to let it last longer.
- To freeze, let the bread completely cool. Wrap in plastic wrap and then place in a freezer safe bag or container. It will last in the freezer for 3 months.
How to ripen bananas quickly?
Ripe bananas are best to use because they are sweeter and have more flavor. They are the star of recipes like banana oatmeal cookies and banana pancakes. Here are a few ways to speed up the ripening process.
- Place bananas in a paper bag and fold it up tight. Leave it for a day or overnight.
- Place bananas (still in the peel) on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes. Let them cool off before using them in recipe.
When we moved last year I realized that our new oven cooked differently than our last one. That is why I like to put approximate bake times because sometimes things bake at different times for people.
To check that your bread is done without slicing it open, insert a toothpick in the middle of the bread. If it comes out clean, without any batter on it, the bread is done and can cool. If there is still batter on the toothpick, cook for a little longer and just make sure it doesn’t burn.
More delicious bread recipes
- The best zucchini bread – This recipe is one of my favorite bread recipes. A great way to use zucchini!
- Poppy seed bread – A recipe handed down from my grandma.
- Banana bread muffins – Banana bread muffins with a sweet, crumbly topping.
- Mini chocolate chip muffins – Mini muffins with mini chocolate chips. A great snack!
*** If you made this recipe feel free to leave a comment and rating below.
Cake Mix Banana Bread
- 1 box cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3 bananas, mashed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9 x 5 loaf pan OR 2 smaller loaf pans with parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mash bananas in large bowl with a masher or back of fork.
- Stir in cake mix, oil, eggs and sour cream. Mix until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let bread cool before removing from pan.
May I use a bread machine?
I have never tried this in a bread machine so I’m not sure. It is a similar batter to regular banana bread.
Thank goodness I baked this on a baking sheet. I used my regular loaf pan and followed the recipe exactly. The loaf ran over both sides – would have made a huge mess if not on a baking sheet. Please update to indicate pan size. would have been fine in a Bundt pan , muffin tin or two loaf pans.
I’m sorry Susan. I use a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan or you could use 2 smaller loaf pans.
This recipe could not be easier! Thanks! I loved every bite.
I love banana bread, but have never done it with cake mix. Will have to try it out sometime. Thanks!
Love this! I am always looking for new banana bread recipes and I love that this uses a cake mix. Can’t wait to try it.