Mrs. Betty’s Best Zucchini Bread is one you won’t forget. She uses a secret ingredient to add moisture and flavor. This recipe is the best zucchini bread and is one for the recipe book!
This is a great recipe to use up any garden zucchini.
We just got back from visiting my Mom in Virginia. I love going back to visit. The mountains are so beautiful this time of year and seeing my family is always so much fun. When we are back in Virginia, we always make a point to see one of my Mom’s best friends, Mrs. Betty. She has been almost like a grandmother to me not to mention an amazing cook.
As a special treat, Mrs. Betty brought us her famous zucchini bread. It is seriously the BEST zucchini bread I have every had and she was kind enough to share the recipe with me. The bread is filled with spices, zucchini, and a special ingredient, a box of lemon pudding. There is also a light sugar glaze that tops the bread, oh it is so good.
Ingredients Needed: flour, shredded zucchini, sugar, lemon pudding mix, eggs, vegetable oil, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice and ginger.
How to make Zucchini Bread
Scroll to the bottom for full printable recipe and ingredients.
- This recipe makes to loaves. Prepare to loaf pans by spraying with non-stick spray.
- Stir together dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Using a stand mixer, mix eggs, vanilla, sugar and oil.
- Slowly add in dry ingredients until blended.
- Stir in zucchini and nuts.
- Pour half the batter in each loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes.
- Whisk together powdered sugar and water for glaze. While bread is still warm, pour glaze of bread.
Tips for Zucchini Bread
- Pick a smaller size zucchini for the bread. The larger ones tend to have big seeds and not as much moisture.
- Make sure to dry the shredded zucchini with paper towels. If the zucchini has to much moisture the bread won’t bake correctly.
- Be sure not to over mix the batter. This helps to keep the bread light and fluffy. It also helps in preventing the bread sinking in the middle.
- To make it easier to remove the bread from the baking dish, line baking dish with parchment paper before spraying with cooking spray.
- To ensure the bread has completely baked, stick a toothpick in the center of the bread and make sure it comes out clean.
Do You Squeeze Water Out Of Zucchini For Bread?
After grating your zucchini you should squeeze out any extra water before adding it to bread batter. I like to place the grated zucchini in a paper towel and give it a good squeeze.
Do You Peel Zucchini Before Making Zucchini Bread?
There is no need to peel the zucchini before grating.
How Many Zucchinis For a Cup?
About one medium-large size zucchini grated makes a cup.
Can This Zucchini Bread Recipe Be Made Into Muffins?
Yes! This recipe makes delicious muffins! Spray a muffin tin with non-stick spray, fill each muffin cup about 2/3 full with batter. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Spoon the glaze over the muffins once they have baked.
This zucchini bread recipe is a keeper, you will definitely want to PIN this one.
More Recipe You Might Enjoy
- Poppy Seed Cake – This is a recipe my grandparents passed down to me. A family favorite!
- Orange Pull-Apart Bread – A delicious pull-apart bread made easy with biscuits from the refrigerator section.
- Cinnamon Twists – Love these for breakfast or dessert!
*** If you have made this recipe please feel free to leave a comment and star rating below.
Mrs. Betty's Best Zucchini Bread
- 2 cups shredded zucchini pat dry with paper towel
- 2 cups self rising flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 small box instant lemon pudding
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts optional
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven 325 degrees F.
- Prepare 2 loaf pans by spraying with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl add flour,pudding mix, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice and ginger.
- Mix together eggs, vanilla extract, sugar and oil in a stand mixer for 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients, mix as you add. Beat until combine.
- Stir in zucchini and nuts into batter.
- Pour half of the batter into each prepared pan.
- Bake 50-60 minutes until inserted toothpick into the center of bread comes out clean.
- Remove pans and cool on wire rack.
- Mix together powdered sugar and water in small bowl. While bread is still hot, pour the glaze on top of the zucchini bread.