Lemon Cake Mix Cookies are like eating a bite of sunshine. Easy to make and delicious! Only a few ingredients are required to make these delicious cookies.
CAKE MIX COOKIES
I love using cake mix to make semi-homemade desserts like these Strawberry Cake Bars and Apricot Nectar Cake. You can typically find several boxes of different flavor mix in my pantry for quick and easy baking.
If you feel like baking but don’t want to use a bunch of ingredients, this recipe is for you. Lemon Crinkle Cookies can be made in no time and no mixer needed.
These cookies are so bright and fun. The lemon zest and juice adds a nice freshness to them.
Lemon Cake Mix – Brand doesn’t matter.
Lemon Zest – If you a super lemon fan, feel free to use extra zest.
Powdered Sugar – This is used to make the icing.
Milk – You can use your favorite milk. I used 2% for this recipe.
HOW TO MAKE LEMON COOKIES WITH CAKE MIX
Scroll down for full printable recipe and list of ingredients
- Mix together cake mix, lemon zest, eggs and oil until combined. (For a little added lemon flavor I will sometimes add a drop of Lemon Essential Oil to the batter.)
- The batter will be really thick but that’s ok!
- Drop the batter onto baking sheet. You can use a spoon or small ice cream scoop to make them the same size. I also use parchment paper or you can spray the pan with non-stick spray.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8-9 minutes. They are going to look pretty soft and puffy when they come out but once they cool they flatten out and are perfect.
- Let the cookies cool on a wire rack for approximately 5 minutes. They should not be warm when you add the icing.
- While the cookies are cooking mix together icing. Stir together powdered sugar, milk and lemon juice.
- Once the cookies have cooled, drizzle the top with icing.
- *** These Lemon Cookies are just as delicious without the icing.
For a little added color, add sprinkles or extra lemon zest to the top of the frosting. I also like adding a little lime zest for a pop of green.
Cake mix can be used to make all kinds of cookies. You can use the recipe and change up the flavor of cake mix to make anything from chocolate to strawberry. Add icing or roll the dough in powdered sugar before baking for a different twist.
TIPS FOR THE PERFECT COOKIE
- Be sure no to over mix dough.
- Use an ice cream scoop for uniform sized cookies.
- This dough can be stored in the refrigerator overnight.
- Store these cookies in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- You may freeze these cookies (without the icing) in an airtight container for 2 months. When ready to eat, thaw at room temperature.
HOW TO STORE
Store any leftover cookies in an airtight container at room temperature. They should last for about 1 week.
To freeze, let the cookies completely cool. Place them on a clean baking sheet and put them in the freezer for about 30 minutes. Place the frozen cookies in a freezer safe bag or container and then keep in the freezer. They will last 3 months. Thaw at room temperature before serving.
MORE COOKIE RECIPES
- German Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies – chocolate chip cookies covered with German Chocolate Icing.
- Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies – chewy and delicious.
- Chocolate Oreo Cookies – chocolate cookies with chunks of Oreo cookies. Yum!
- Big Soft Ginger Cookies – a recipe from my mom. These are a family favorite!
- Cherry Bon Bon Cookies – sugar cookie dough wrapped around a cherry covered in cherry icing. Delicious!
- Banana Oatmeal Cookies – Chewy cookies filled with banana and oats. Great for a treat or breakfast.
***If you made this recipe, please feel free to leave a comment and rating below.
Lemon Cake Mix Cookies
- 1 box lemon cake mix
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or spray with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together cake mix, oil, eggs and lemon zest until combined. Batter will be thick. Be sure not to over mix.
- Drop tablespoon full of batter on cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Let cool on wire rack.
- For icing, mix together powdered sugar, lemon juice and milk. Once cookies cool, drizzle icing on top of cookies.