Lemon Cake Mix Cookies
Jan 24, 2019, Updated Feb 13, 2024
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Lemon cake mix cookies are like eating a bite of sunshine. Easy to make and so delicious! Only a few ingredients are required to make these tasty cake mix cookies.
I love using cake mix to make semi-homemade desserts like these cake mix cookie bars and apricot nectar cake. You can typically find several boxes of different flavor mixes in my pantry for quick and easy baking.
If you feel like baking but don’t want to use a bunch of ingredients, this recipe is for you. Lemon crinkle cookies can be made in no time and no mixer is needed.
These cookies are so bright and fun. The lemon zest and juice adds a nice freshness to them.
Why you should try this recipe
- Easy – This is a super easy lemon cookie recipe with the help of cake mix.
- Texture – These cookies have amazing chewy texture.
- Versatile – Simple enough for an after school treat but tasty enough to serve at a party.
- Lemon cake mix – The brand of cake mix doesn’t matter.
- Vegetable oil
- Lemon zest
- Lemon juice
- Powdered sugar
How To Make Lemon Cake Mix Cookies
Scroll down for full printable recipe and list of ingredients
- Mix together cake mix, lemon zest, eggs, and oil until combined. ***The batter will be thick but that’s ok.
- Drop the batter onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. You can use a spoon or small ice cream scoop or cookie scoop.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8-9 minutes. They are going to look pretty soft and puffy when they come out but once they cool they flatten out.
- Let the cookies cool on a wire rack for approximately 5 minutes. They should not be warm when you add the icing.
- While the cookies are baking, mix together the icing. Stir together powdered sugar, milk, and lemon juice.
- Once the cookies have cooled, drizzle the top with icing. You can also leave the icing off.
For a little added color, add sprinkles or extra lemon zest to the top of frosting. I also like adding a little lime zest for a pop of green color.
Cake mix can be used to make all kinds of cookies. You can use the recipe and change up the flavor of cake mix to make anything from chocolate to strawberry. Add icing or roll the cookie dough in powdered sugar before baking for a different twist.
- Be sure not to over mix the dough.
- Use an ice cream scoop for uniform sized cookies.
- This dough can be stored in refrigerator overnight.
- Store these cookies in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- You may freeze these cookies in an airtight container for 2 months. When ready to eat thaw at room temperature.
How to store
Store any leftover cookies in an airtight container at room temperature. They will last for about 1 week.
To freeze, let the cookies completely cool. Place them on a clean baking sheet and put them in the freezer for about 30 minutes. Place the frozen cookies in a freezer safe bag or container and then keep in the freezer for up to 2-3 months.
How to thaw Lemon Cake Cookies
When you are ready to thaw lemon cookies, place them on the counter at room temperature overnight.
A cake mix typically has more leavening agent than a cookie mix.
More Cookie Recipes
- German chocolate chocolate chip cookies – Chocolate chip cookies covered with German Chocolate icing.
- Cinnamon oatmeal cookies – Chewy and delicious cookies.
- Big soft ginger cookies – A family favorite!
- Cherry bon bon cookies – Sugar cookie dough wrapped around a cherry covered in a cherry glaze.
If you love lemon, be sure to try one of these delicious 31 lemon dessert recipes.
Cake Mix Lemon Cookies
- 1 box lemon cake mix
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or spray with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together cake mix, oil, eggs and lemon zest until combined. Batter will be thick. Be sure not to over mix.
- Drop tablespoon full of batter on cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Let cool on wire rack.
- For icing, mix together powdered sugar, lemon juice and milk. Once cookies cool, drizzle icing on top of cookies.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.