Cake Mix Cookie Bars
May 04, 2020, Updated Aug 31, 2020
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Cake mix cookie bars are the ultimate semi-homemade dessert. These lazy cookie bars are filled with colorful chocolate candy and are always a winner with the kids.
Have you ever been invited to a party or gathering last minute and need something quick to make and bring over? Or have your kids shown up with a group of starving friends ready for a snack?
These cookie bars are just the thing to make for these type of situations. Four ingredients, about 30 minutes and you have a treat that everyone will be asking for the recipe.
Why this works
- Using cake mix makes this recipe fast to whip up.
- Only need 4 ingredients.
- Perfect for a last minute dessert.
- Delicious, chewy texture with a slight candy coated crunch.
Yellow cake mix – The base of the cookie bars.
Butter – Adds rich flavor.
M&M’s – Add fun color and of course chocolate goodness.
How to make cookie bars with cake mix
Scroll to the bottom for full printable recipe, ingredients and video.
- Mix: Put cake mix, melted butter and eggs into a large bowl. Mix until combined.
- Stir: Stir candy in with the batter.
- Spread: Spread batter evenly in a 9 x 13 ban lined with parchment paper or foil. The batter is very thick so use a spatula or your hands to get the batter pressed down and spread.
- Bake: Bake cookie bars for about 20 – 25 minutes or until starting to turn golden brown.
- Cool: Make sure to let the bars cool before cutting.
How to store
These will stay good at room temperature in an airtight container. They will last about one week, but mine always get eaten way before that.
To freeze, make sure they completely cool. I like to cut mine into squares and then place them on a baking sheet in the freezer. Once they have frozen, place the squares in a freezer safe container. Thaw in the refrigerator.
The awesome thing about these cookie bars is that you can use most any candy. I love the colorful M&M’s but here are some other delicious options:
- Chocolate Chips
- White Chocolate Chips
- Butterscotch Chips
- Chopped Heath Bar
- Reeces Pieces (Love this one)
Can I use a different cake mix?
Yes, you can use white, chocolate, even red velvet. I prefer the rich vanilla flavor the yellow mix gives these bars.
More delicious cookie recipes
- Chocolate Oreo Chunk Cookies– Chocolate cookies with chunks of Oreo cookies.
- Banana Oatmeal Cookies– Chewy cookies that taste just like banana bread.
- Congo Squares– These chocolate chip squares are a classic.
- Oatmeal Fudge Bars– Oatmeal cookie bars layered with a delicious fudge middle.
- Blonde Brownies – Chewy blondies with white chocolate chips.
- Cake Mix Brownies – Use a cake mix to make delicious, fudgy brownies.
***If you made this recipe, please be sure to leave a comment and rating below.
Cake Mix Cookie Bars
- 1 (15.25 oz) box yellow cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups M&M's
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with parchment paper and spray with non-stick spray.
- Pour cake mix, eggs and butter in a large bowl. Stir until combined.
- Stir in M&M's.
- Spread batter in prepared baking pan. Use a spatula or hands to press down.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. The edges should start to turn golden brown. Cool before cutting.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.