Coffee Cake is one of my absolute favorite cakes and you can eat it for breakfast! Easy, delicious and a total crowd pleaser. Cinnamon and brown sugar come together to make this one irresistible cake!
Those people that know me, know that I have a serious sweet tooth. It’s my vice in life, sweet, tasty, baked goods. The reason I mention this fact is to emphasize how good this cake really tastes. I would have to say it is in my top 3 of all time, sugary treats. Yes, it looks simple, but don’t be fooled. The brown sugar, cinnamon filling mixed with the sugary glaze on top is out of this world.
Ingredients Needed: butter pecan cake mix, eggs, vegetable oil, sugar, sour cream, brown sugar, cinnamon, powdered sugar, milk and vanilla.
What is Coffee Cake?
Believe it or not, coffee cake typically does not have coffee in the ingredients. It is a cake that was intended to drink coffee with in the morning.
The key to making this cake a little different then the other coffee cakes in the world is to use a butter pecan cake mix. You can use a yellow cake mix, but trust me, you want to use butter pecan. It adds a little spiciness to the cake and kicks the taste up another level.
How to Make Easy Coffee Cake
- Start by combining the cake mix, sour cream, vegetable oil, eggs and sugar to make the batter.
- Pour half of the batter in a prepared 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Mix together brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and sprinkle on top of batter.
- Top with the rest of the batter and bake.
- Once the cake is done baking, remove from oven and let it cool off before adding the glaze.
- Don’t forget the powdered sugar glaze, it’s my favorite part! Simply mix together powdered sugar, milk and vanilla.
Tips for Making the Best Coffee Cake
- I like using Butter Pecan Cake mix for added flavor but Yellow Cake mix works also.
- Don’t forget to let the cake cool before adding the glaze.
- Insert a toothpick in the middle of the cake and if it comes out clean it is done baking.
Favorite Breakfast Recipes
- 1 box butter pecan cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9x13 pan.
- Mix cake mix, eggs, oil, sugar, and sour cream until blended.
- Pour half of the batter in the pan.
- Combine brown sugar and cinnamon and spread over cake batter.
- Spread the rest of the cake batter on top of brown sugar mixture.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes.
- Mix powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk.
- Once cake is cooled, pour glaze on top of cake.