First off, I would like to confess that I made 2 of these cakes during the week and I, alone ate one of them myself. Yes, I have a problem. Those people that know me, know that I have a serious sweet tooth. It’s my vice in life, sweet, tasty, baked goods. The reason I mention this fact is to emphasize how good this cake really tastes. I would have to say it is in my top 3 of all time, sugary treats. Yes, it looks simple, but don’t be fooled. The brown sugar, cinnamon filling mixed with the sugary glaze on top is out of this world.
The key to making this cake a little different then the other coffee cakes in the world is to use a butter pecan cake mix. You can use a yellow cake mix, but trust me, you want to use butter pecan. It adds a little spicyness to the cake and kicks the taste up another level.
To assemble the cake, you add half of the batter to a prepared baking pan, top with cinnamon and brown sugar, and then top with the rest of the cake batter.
Don’t forget the powdered sugar glaze, it’s my favorite part!
This is by far one of my favorite recipes from my mom’s cookbook. Everyone will be asking you for the recipe!
Favorite Breakfast Recipes
- 1 box butter pecan cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9x13 pan.
- Mix cake mix, eggs, oil, sugar, and sour cream until blended.
- Pour half of the batter in the pan.
- Combine brown sugar and cinnamon and spread over cake batter.
- Spread the rest of the cake batter on top of brown sugar mixture.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes.
- Mix powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk.
- Once cake is cooled, pour glaze on top of cake.