Instant Pot French Toast Casserole
Oct 09, 2018, Updated Mar 12, 2021
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Instant Pot French Toast Casserole is a quick and easy way to make a delicious breakfast casserole.
If you are having people over for brunch, this french toast bake is always a hit! Serve it with this Instant Pot Breakfast Casserole and you have sweet and savory covered.
French toast is one of my favorite things for breakfast. This Instant Pot French Toast Casserole is an great way to make french toast for a crowd.
WHAT BREAD TO USE FOR FRENCH TOAST
French toast is soaked in an egg and milk mixture so having a strong, sturdy bread is key. Having day or two old bread also helps with the sturdiness.
My personal favorite is Challah bread. You can find it in the bakery section at most grocery stores. French bread and Brioche are also great choices for this french toast casserole.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE
- Start by cubing the bread in about 1-inch pieces and putting them in a greased 7-inch cake pan or oven safe glass bowl.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and butter. (Tip: Stir the melted butter in last so it doesn’t accidentally curdle the eggs.)
- Pour the mixture over the bread.
- Pour water in the bottom of pressure cooker. Place a trivet in the cooker.
- Gently put the casserole dish or pan in the IP and close and lock the lid.
- Set timer for 25 minutes on the Pressure Cook setting.
- When finished cooking do a quick pressure release. Let sit for 5 minutes and then carefully remove the lid.
TIPS FOR MAKING INSTANT POT FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE
- I used my 6-qt Instant Pot for this dish.
- If you want a crunchier top, place the dish in the oven broiler for 3-4 minutes before serving.
- You can make a “sling” with strips of foil for easier bowl removal. Place the strips in a cross form over the trivet and then place the bowl or pan on top of them. I was able to remove my bowl without the need for a sling.
CAN YOU PREPARE FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE THE NIGHT BEFORE
Yes! Prepare the french toast casserole recipe but don’t cook. Cover and refrigerate over night.
I like serving this breakfast casserole with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and a drizzle of maple syrup. If you need a side this Hash Brown Casserole and Blushing Mimosa would make a great addition to brunch.
If you made this recipe be sure to rate and leave a comment below.
Instant Pot French Toast Casserole
- 1/2 loaf challah bread, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup water for the bottom of Instant Pot
- Whisk together eggs, milk, brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla and melted butter.
- Coat an oven safe 7-inch bowl or 7-inch cake pan with non stick cooking spray.
- Add cubed bread to the bowl. Pour egg mixture over the bread and gently press bread down to coat with the egg mixture.
- Pour the cup of water in the Instant Pot. Place the trivet into the Instant Pot.
- Place the bowl or cake pan on top of the trivet. Close the lid and lock. Set time to 25 minutes Pressure Cook setting.
- Once done cooking, do a quick pressure release. Once the valve drops, carefully remove the lid.
- Remove the bowl from the Instant Pot. Optional: Top with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and maple syrup.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.