Instant Pot French Toast Casserole is a quick and easy way to make a delicious breakfast casserole.
If you are having people over for brunch, this french toast bake is always a hit! Serve it with this Instant Pot Breakfast Casserole and you have sweet and savory covered.
French toast is one of my favorite things for breakfast. This Instant Pot French Toast Casserole is an great way to make french toast for a crowd.
WHAT BREAD TO USE FOR FRENCH TOAST
French toast is soaked in an egg and milk mixture so having a strong, sturdy bread is key. Having day or two old bread also helps with the sturdiness.
My personal favorite is Challah bread. You can find it in the bakery section at most grocery stores. French bread and Brioche are also great choices for this french toast casserole.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE
- Start by cubing the bread in about 1-inch pieces and putting them in a greased 7-inch cake pan or oven safe glass bowl.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and butter. (Tip: Stir the melted butter in last so it doesn’t accidentally curdle the eggs.)
- Pour the mixture over the bread.
- Pour water in the bottom of pressure cooker. Place a trivet in the cooker.
- Gently put the casserole dish or pan in the IP and close and lock the lid.
- Set timer for 25 minutes on the Pressure Cook setting.
- When finished cooking do a quick pressure release. Let sit for 5 minutes and then carefully remove the lid.
TIPS FOR MAKING INSTANT POT FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE
- I used my 6-qt Instant Pot for this dish.
- If you want a crunchier top, place the dish in the oven broiler for 3-4 minutes before serving.
- You can make a “sling” with strips of foil for easier bowl removal. Place the strips in a cross form over the trivet and then place the bowl or pan on top of them. I was able to remove my bowl without the need for a sling.
CAN YOU PREPARE FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE THE NIGHT BEFORE
Yes! Prepare the french toast casserole recipe but don’t cook. Cover and refrigerate over night.
I like serving this breakfast casserole with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and a drizzle of maple syrup. If you need a side this Hash Brown Casserole and Blushing Mimosa would make a great addition to brunch.
If you made this recipe be sure to rate and leave a comment below.
Instant Pot French Toast Casserole
- 1/2 loaf challah bread, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup water for the bottom of Instant Pot
- Whisk together eggs, milk, brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla and melted butter.
- Coat an oven safe 7-inch bowl or 7-inch cake pan with non stick cooking spray.
- Add cubed bread to the bowl. Pour egg mixture over the bread and gently press bread down to coat with the egg mixture.
- Pour the cup of water in the Instant Pot. Place the trivet into the Instant Pot.
- Place the bowl or cake pan on top of the trivet. Close the lid and lock. Set time to 25 minutes Pressure Cook setting.
- Once done cooking, do a quick pressure release. Once the valve drops, carefully remove the lid.
- Remove the bowl from the Instant Pot. Optional: Top with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and maple syrup.
Is there any recipe for this that doesn’t require a removable cake pan? I have the very small 3-qt instant pot and it seems so many recipes are out of my reach because I cannot find a cake pan small enough to fit inside :/.
I have not tried making without the pan. You could adapt the recipe and put it in a 9 x 9 baking dish and bake in oven for for approximately 20-25 minutes.
Delicious, easy and quick!
So glad you liked it!
Has anyone tried making this recipe with regular bread if that’s all you have in hand?
Hi Jen, The only thing with regular bread is it might get too soggy. If it is starting to get stale it might work but if it’s fresh, I worry it might be too soggy with the liquid.
Just made this…actually sitting here typing while it cools down. I haven’t tasted it yet, but my 4.5 y/o and my husband both said it has a good flavor. Husband says it’s a little custardy for his liking, but the kiddo says he likes the squishy mouth-feel. I just took a bite, and yeah, it’s a bit on the custardy side.
I used chocolate chip brioche bread from Aldi, probably too much vanilla and cinnamon, and not any nutmeg – since I was out.
I usually make the Pioneer Woman Overnight French Toast Casserole, but I didn’t prepare ahead last night, so gave this one a go.
If you like bread pudding, you’ll like this recipe as-is. Otherwise, you might want to tweak it a bit to get a different texture.
I used a push pan, which allowed for it to rise as needed. It was pretty good. It could have used a few more minutes in the IP, as it was still a bit soggy.
I’m making it right now, can’t wait to see how it turns out.
It turned out great! Very easy and cheap, too.
That looks absolutely scrumptious!
I love making this recipe!
I never would have thought to make french toast casserole in the Instant Pot. Thanks for sharing the recipe, it looks delicious!!
I love finding new ways I can use my instant Pot!! I haven’t done anything breakfast in it so this is happening!!
Is there anything the instapot can’t do? Looks so delicious!
I’m going to invite people over just so I can make this! I like the idea of doing both to have sweet AND savory.