Hashbrown casserole is a quick and easy side dish. Perfect for breakfast, brunch and dinner! Tastes just like it’s straight from Cracker Barrel.
This post was updated February 19, 2020.
When I was growing up, we would go to Cracker Barrel every Sunday after church. It became our Sunday tradition to go have a big breakfast and discuss the week ahead. Never fail, every time my mom would order a side of hash brown casserole to go with her pancakes. When she wasn’t looking, I would try to sneak bites of her casserole.
Frozen Shredded Hashbrowns – You can also use refrigerated hashbrowns.
Cheddar Cheese – I recommend Sharp Cheddar Cheese.
Onion – Diced very small. If you don’t like onion, feel free to omit.
Milk – This helps to make casserole creamy and delicious.
Beef Broth – Adds a nice level of flavor. Could substitute with vegetable broth.
Garlic Powder – This gives an extra kick of flavor but feel free to omit.
How To Make Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole
Scroll to the bottom for full printable recipe and ingredients list.
- Begin by adding frozen hashbrowns, cheese, butter, broth, milk, onion and spices to a large bowl.
- Microwave for 10 minutes.
- Be sure to give it a stir after 5 minutes of cooking.
- Spray a casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray and spread the hashbrown mixture into casserole dish. Top with extra cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
After much trial and error, mom perfected a great copycat recipe to Cracker Barrel’s easy hashbrown casserole recipe that is spot on! It tastes just like the restaurant if not better. The best part is it requires just dumping all of the ingredients in a bowl, heat up and then pop in the oven to cook the shredded potatoes and make them nice and cheesy. So easy, it’s a no brainer.
Should I thaw hash browns before cooking?
Yes, they need to be thawed before cooking. The thawing time is included in the casserole recipe.
Can you freeze hashbrown casserole?
Yes! If it has already been baked, allow the casserole to completely cool. Wrap tightly in freezer wrap and aluminum foil to prevent freezer burn. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, allow to thaw. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until heated all the way through.
Hashbrown Casserole Variations
This recipe is delicious on it’s own but you can add a few ingredients to change it up.
- Try adding in your favorite vegetables like diced mushrooms, bell peppers or tomatoes.
- Want to “beef” it up, try adding some crumbled breakfast sausage, bacon or diced ham.
- Want a little spice, top with sour cream, pickled jalapenos and salsa.
More Delicious Casserole Recipes:
- Cheesy Ground Beef and Rice Casserole – This is one of our go-to meals filled with beef, vegetables and rice.
- Cheesy Vegetable Casserole – A tasty side dish filled with vegetables and cheese.
- Asian Beef and Rice Casserole – A variation on beef and rice casserole.
- French Toast and Bacon Casserole – A sweet breakfast casserole everyone loves.
** If you made this recipe feel free to leave a comment and star rating below.
- 1 32 oz bag of frozen shredded hashbrowns
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the above ingredients and microwave for 10 minutes. Stir after 5 minutes.
- Transfer hash browns to prepared baking dish and bake for 25 minutes.