This Mexican white sauce is a creamy, flavorful sauce that is typically served alongside chips at some Mexican restaurants. Not a cheese dip, this white salsa has a garlicky flavor that is so good on everything.
My husband introduced me to this Mexican white sauce when we went to visit his parents in Newport News, Virginia. One of his favorite restaurants, Plaza Azteca, brings a big bowl of this sauce out with the salsa and chips. The first time I tasted it, I couldn’t stop eating it with my chips, I even poured it all over my tacos it’s so good. This recipe is my version of this Virginia favorite. Enjoy!
What is Mexican White Sauce?
Sometimes referred to as “salsa blanca”, this Mexican white sauce is similar to ranch and is served with salsa at many Mexican restaurants in the Hampton Roads Virginia area. According to the Virginian Pilot, it’s thought to have originated from a restaurant named El Toro and actually was first served as a salad dressing.
Miracle Whip – This is the secret ingredient to this sauce. You could substitute with mayonnaise but the Miracle Whip gives it the authentic restaurant flavor.
Sour Cream – This helps to balance out the sweetness in the Miracle Whip. You can use full or light sour cream.
Milk – Helps to think out the sauce. You can adjust the amount depending if you would like the sauce thicker or thinner.
Garlic Powder – Gives this dip it’s delicious garlicky flavor.
Cumin – Cumin adds a bit of smoky flavor.
Oregano – I know oregano sounds strange but this dried herb contributes great taste to this sauce.
Crushed Red Pepper – Adds a little heat to the sauce. If you like really spicy, feel free to add extra.
Jalapeno Brine – This is the juice you can find in the pickled jalapeno jar. Adds another layer of flavor.
Chopped Pickled Jalapenos – These can be left out but I like the flavor and texture they add.
How To Make Mexican White Sauce
This comes together quick and easy. The key is letting it chill in the refrigerator.
- Mix together Miracle Whip, sour cream, milk, crushed red pepper flake, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, jalapeno brine and pickled jalapenos in a food processor.
- Place in a sealable container and let sit in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours.
How To Serve White Salsa
I recommend letting this sit in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours. This gives the flavors a chance to come together to make this amazing sauce.
If you don’t have a food processor or blender, you can just stir this up with a spoon. Just be sure to chop up the jalapenos before mixing.
More Easy Sauce Recipes
Have you had Mexican white sauce at a restaurant? Let us know how this recipe compares.
Mexican White Sauce
- 1 cup Miracle Whip
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flake
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno brine The juice from pickled jalapeno jar.
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapenos
- Place Miracle Whip, sour cream, milk, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, crushed red pepper flakes, jalapeno brine and pickled jalapenos in a food processor or blender.
- Pulse until combined and jalapenos are chopped.
- Pour in airtight container and store in refrigerator until ready to eat. Best if it can refrigerate for 24 hours.