Mar 30, 2020, Updated Aug 27, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These sausage pinwheels are super simple and so good. Serve at a party, for breakfast or even as a meal.
I sent my husband to the store the other day and he came back with several cans of crescent rolls. They were not on my list but I was excited because I have been wanting to make these sausage cream cheese crescent rolls.
This is a recipe that I used to make a lot in college and through the years. Everyone always loves them and they go well with so many occasions.
What you need
This pinwheel recipe requires just a few ingredients. Sausage, cream cheese, crescent rolls, garlic powder and green onions. You can leave out the green onion and garlic powder if you like.
How to make
- Start with browning your meat.
- Be sure to drain off all of the extra grease and then mix with the softened cream cheese.
- Stir in garlic powder and dice green onion.
- Mix in cooked sausage and stir until combined.
- Roll out crescent roll dough on parchment paper. Pinch together any seems to make one sheet of dough.
- Spread mixture evenly over dough and then roll lengthwise.
- Wrap in the parchment paper and plastic wrap and place in freezer for at least one hour. If leaving overnight place in the refrigerator.
- Unwrap and slice into 1/4 inch rounds. Place on prepared baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes.
Tips for delicious pinwheel
- Be sure to let the cream cheese soften. This helps so much when it comes to getting a creamy mixture.
- To get my cream cheese extra creamy, I like to whip with an electric mixer for 2-3 minutes. This is an optional step.
- Make sure to allow the roll to chill before slicing. It helps all the ingredients stay together and not fall apart.
- Try to roll as tightly as possible to make sure ingredients don’t fall out.
- You can prepare the roll the night before, just make sure to chill in the refrigerator not the freezer.
- Try adding finely diced red bell pepper for added color and crunch.
- Add a can of diced green chilis to the mixture for added heat.
- Add a 1/4 teaspoon of Italian seasoning to mixture and serve with marinara sauce for dipping.
How to store
Keep any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, bake for at 350 for about 5 minutes.
To freeze, let them cool completely. Place on a cookie sheet in the freezer. Once they have frozen, place them in freezer safe container. They will last for about 3 months.
Let thaw in refrigerator overnight and then bake for 5-7 minutes.
Recipe you might enjoy
- Keto Egg Bowls are filled with sausage, eggs and cheese.
- Eggs Benedict Casserole is a twist on a classic brunch recipe.
- Farmers Casserole is filled with eggs, cheese, veggies and ham. Great for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
***If you made this recipe, feel free to leave a comment and star rating below.
- 1 roll breakfast sausage
- 1 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 can crescent rolls
- 1 green onion, diced
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Cook, brown and crumble sausage in a skillet over medium heat. Once cooked, remove excess grease.
- To get cream cheese extra soft, whip with an electric mixer for 2-3 minutes. (This is optional) Stir cream cheese, garlic powder, sausage and green onion together until combined.
- Roll crescent rolls out on parchment paper. Do not separate the rolls. Pinch the seams together to form one large rectangle.
- Spread sausage mixture on top of rolls. Roll up lengthwise and wrap roll in parchment paper and plastic wrap. Place in the freezer for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Remove roll from plastic wrap and cut into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for approximately 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Be sure to check out these other crescent roll recipes.