These sausage pinwheels are super simple and so good. Serve at a party, for breakfast or even as a meal.
I sent my husband to the store the other day and he came back with several cans of crescent rolls. They were not on my list but I was excited because I have been wanting to make these sausage cream cheese crescent rolls.
This is a recipe that I used to make a lot in college and through the years. Everyone always loves them and they go well with so many occasions.
What you need
This pinwheel recipe requires just a few ingredients. Sausage, cream cheese, crescent rolls, garlic powder and green onions. You can leave out the green onion and garlic powder if you like.
How to make
- Start with browning your meat.
- Be sure to drain off all of the extra grease and then mix with the softened cream cheese.
- Stir in garlic powder and dice green onion.
- Mix in cooked sausage and stir until combined.
- Roll out crescent roll dough on parchment paper. Pinch together any seems to make one sheet of dough.
- Spread mixture evenly over dough and then roll lengthwise.
- Wrap in the parchment paper and plastic wrap and place in freezer for at least one hour. If leaving overnight place in the refrigerator.
- Unwrap and slice into 1/4 inch rounds. Place on prepared baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes.
Tips for delicious pinwheel
- Be sure to let the cream cheese soften. This helps so much when it comes to getting a creamy mixture.
- To get my cream cheese extra creamy, I like to whip with an electric mixer for 2-3 minutes. This is an optional step.
- Make sure to allow the roll to chill before slicing. It helps all the ingredients stay together and not fall apart.
- Try to roll as tightly as possible to make sure ingredients don’t fall out.
- You can prepare the roll the night before, just make sure to chill in the refrigerator not the freezer.
- Try adding finely diced red bell pepper for added color and crunch.
- Add a can of diced green chilis to the mixture for added heat.
- Add a 1/4 teaspoon of Italian seasoning to mixture and serve with marinara sauce for dipping.
How to store
Keep any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, bake for at 350 for about 5 minutes.
To freeze, let them cool completely. Place on a cookie sheet in the freezer. Once they have frozen, place them in freezer safe container. They will last for about 3 months.
Let thaw in refrigerator overnight and then bake for 5-7 minutes.
Recipe you might enjoy
- Keto Egg Bowls are filled with sausage, eggs and cheese.
- Eggs Benedict Casserole is a twist on a classic brunch recipe.
- Farmers Casserole is filled with eggs, cheese, veggies and ham. Great for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
***If you made this recipe, feel free to leave a comment and star rating below.
- 1 roll breakfast sausage
- 1 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 can crescent rolls
- 1 green onion, diced
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Cook, brown and crumble sausage in a skillet over medium heat. Once cooked, remove excess grease.
- To get cream cheese extra soft, whip with an electric mixer for 2-3 minutes. (This is optional) Stir cream cheese, garlic powder, sausage and green onion together until combined.
- Roll crescent rolls out on parchment paper. Do not separate the rolls. Pinch the seams together to form one large rectangle.
- Spread sausage mixture on top of rolls. Roll up lengthwise and wrap roll in parchment paper and plastic wrap. Place in the freezer for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Remove roll from plastic wrap and cut into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for approximately 10 minutes or until golden brown.