Air fryer acorn squash makes a simple side dish that is delicious and nutritious. Can be served in a variety of ways from sweet to savory, whole or mashed.
There are a few methods of cooking like microwave acorn squash or roasting in the oven. If you like a more roasted taste and texture I recommend using the air fryer.
Why cook acorn squash in the air fryer
- Very easy to make and minimal cleanup.
- Faster than cooking in the oven and don’t have to preheat.
- Delicious roasted squash in less than 30 minutes from start to finish.
Acorn squash – Choose an squash that is mostly dark green and has a heavy feel with minimal blemishes.
Olive oil, salt and pepper
Butter, cinnamon, brown sugar
How to make air fryer acorn squash
Scroll to the bottom for full, printable recipe, ingredients and video.
- Prepare: Cut squash down the middle from top to bottom. Using a spoon, scoop out the seeds and set aside.
- Season: For the savory version, brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. *** See notes in recipe card for sweet version.
- Cook: Place squash halves cut side up in air fryer basket. Cook at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes or until desired.
- Serve: Serve as is, stuffed or mashed.
How to store
Store: Let squash completely cool and then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Freeze: Allow squash to cool, remove pulp and store in a freezer safe bag. It can be frozen for 8-10 months.
- Each air fryer cooks a little different. Mine was finished cooking in 15 minutes. You may find that you need to cook a little longer depending on your machine and size of the acorn squash.
- Cutting an acorn squash can be a little difficult sometimes. If necessary, place the whole squash in the microwave for 30 seconds to make it a little softer and easier to cut. Also, be sure to use a sharp knife.
- I used a 5.8 quart air fryer and was able to fit both halves in with plenty of room. Depending on your air fryer basket size, you might have to cook one at a time.
There are several ways to eat and season acorn squash. We like it as a side, stuffed and mashed. Here are a few serving ideas:
- Herbs: Add a few sprigs of fresh thyme or rosemary. You could also add 1/8 teaspoon of dried spices on each squash half.
- Maple Syrup: Replace olive oil with a little butter and once finished cooking, drizzle with maple syrup.
- Marshmallows: Mash the squash and add a little butter and top with mini marshmallows.
- Stuff: Try stuffing with a mixture of sausage, rice and cranberries for a full meal.
More easy air fryer recipes
- Air fryer spaghetti squash – Perfectly cooked spaghetti squash with light seasoning.
- Air fryer broccoli – Roast broccoli quick and easy.
- Air fryer baked potatoes – Crispy potato skin with a tender middle.
- Air fryer mushrooms – These mushrooms are a delicious side.
- Air fryer corn on the cob – A quick way to roast corn on the cob.
*** If you made this recipe, please feel free to leave a comment and star rating below.
Air Fryer Acorn Squash
- 1 acorn squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cut acorn squash in half and scoop out seeds.
- Spread oil over the cut portion of the squash. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place acorn squash halves in air fryer basket. Air fry at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes.