Mar 19, 2017, Updated Jun 09, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Blueberry buckle cake is topped with blueberries and a cinnamon sugar streusel. Serve this dish for breakfast, brunch, afternoon snack, or as a dessert. This buckle is an old family favorite.
What is Blueberry Buckle?
You might be wondering what makes this a buckle, not a cake? A buckle usually has a cake batter and is topped with a fruit that the batter then “buckles” around as it bakes in the oven.
This is the best Recipe for Blueberry Buckle
We love this blueberry buckle because it has a delicious streusel topping similar to some coffee cakes.
This buckle has just the right amount of sweetness. It’s not overly sweet and really lets the blueberry flavor shine.
Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake ingredients
- All purpose flour – All purpose flour is used for this recipe.
- Baking powder – This helps the cake rise.
- Salt – A pinch of salt to balance the sweetness.
- Butter – Unsalted butter is used.
- Milk – Whole milk is best but you can use the milk you have on hand.
- Sugar – Granulated white sugar is needed.
- Fresh blueberries
How to make Blueberry Buckle
Step one: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a baking pan by spraying with nonstick cooking spray. Begin by making the cake layer. Cream together butter and sugar with a mixer. Add in the egg and then a mixture of flour, baking powder and salt.
Step two: Next mix in the milk. Spread the batter in the prepared pan.
Step three: In a separate bowl, mix together the crumbly streusel ingredients. Top the cake batter with fresh blueberries and then the streusel topping.
Step four: Bake for about 45 minutes.
Blueberry Buckle Recipe storage
Store: Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
Make sure to check out these other amazing blueberry recipes if you like this recipe.
How to serve the best blueberry buckle recipe
This buckle recipe is delicious served slightly warmed right out of the oven but can be served at room temperature.
Blueberry Buckle Cake FAQs
Fresh blueberries are best but you can substitute with frozen blueberries.
A buckle is considered a coffee cake because it can be served with coffee. Buckles have fruit and a streusel topping.
The history of fruit buckles can be traced back to American settlers that wanted to use seasonal fruit.
More Brunch Recipes
- Hash brown crust breakfast casserole
- Instant Pot Breakfast Casserole
- Instant Pot French Toast Casserole
- Hash Brown Casserole
Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and 3/4 cup sugar for 2 minutes with mixer on medium speed.
- Add egg and beat another 2 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, blend 2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- Add half of the flour mixture to butter mixture.
- Add milk and then the rest of flour mixture to butter mixture and mix on medium until blended together
- Spread in a greased 11×7 pan and top with blueberries.
- In a medium bowl mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup flour, cinnamon, and butter. Mix together until it becomes crumbly.
- Sprinkle on top of berries.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.