Blueberry buckle, cake topped with blueberries and cinnamon sugar streusel. Serve at breakfast, brunch or dessert. This buckle is an old family favorite.
Now that Easter is right around the corner I have been trying to decide what to make for our Easter brunch. I like to have a variety of different dishes for everyone to enjoy like these sausage balls. An old family favorite that is a must for our brunch is my mom’s blueberry buckle. She has been making it ever since I can remember.
This blueberry buckle has just the right amount of sweetness. It is not overly sweet. It consists of a delicious layer of cake, topped with fresh blueberries and a cinnamon sugar streusel. I never knew why this cake is called a “buckle” so of course I Googled the meaning. 🙂 The name “buckle” comes from the streusel topping looking buckled. I guess that makes sense?
How to make blueberry buckle
- Start by making the cake layer. Cream together butter and sugar. Add in the egg and then a mixture of flour, baking powder and salt.
- Next mix in the milk. Spread the batter in a prepared pan and then top with fresh blueberries and streusel topping.
I love serving this blueberry buckle warm at a brunch but it would be amazing for dessert served with some vanilla ice cream! Enjoy!
More Brunch Recipes
- Hash brown crust breakfast casserole
- Instant Pot Breakfast Casserole
- Instant Pot French Toast Casserole
- Hash Brown Casserole
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and 3/4 cup sugar for 2 minutes with mixer on medium speed.
- Add egg and beat another 2 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, blend 2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- Add half of the flour mixture to butter mixture.
- Add milk and then the rest of flour mixture to butter mixture and mix on medium until blended together
- Spread in a greased 11x7 pan and top with blueberries.
- In a medium bowl mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup flour, cinnamon, and butter. Mix together until it becomes crumbly.
- Sprinkle on top of berries.
- Bake for 45 minutes.