Cake Mix Brownies
May 25, 2020, Updated Feb 13, 2024
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Cake mix brownies are seriously easy! Use your favorite flavor mix to create delicious brownies with just a few ingredients.
Can you make brownies from a cake mix?
Yes and they are so good and simple to make!
Now I am the first to admit, there is nothing better than a homemade brownie, however, sometimes it’s nice to have a quick and easy option for making this chocolate treat.
So how do you make box cake mix better? Use it to make brownies!
Why this recipe works
- Only 3 ingredients!! We won’t count the chocolate chips.
- Kids can make them. This is a great recipe for kids to make on their own.
- Flavor options. Don’t feel restricted to chocolate. Try strawberry, lemon or even red velvet.
Cake mix – Choose your favorite. For this recipe, I am using chocolate.
Vegetable oil – This is the fat used for brownies.
Eggs – Help keep moist and tender.
Optional add-ins – I am using chocolate chips here, but feel free to use your favorite chips, candy, nuts or nothing at all.
How to make fudgy brownies from cake mix
Scroll down for full printable recipe, ingredients and video.
- Ingredients: Pour cake mix, oil, egg in a large bowl. Give it a good stir to fully combine ingredients.
- Fold: Fold in chocolate chips or if you are using something like nuts or candy.
- Bake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place batter in prepared baking dish and cook for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool: Let them cool before cutting to serve.
Is it better to use oil or butter for brownies?
Oil is a great option if you are looking for fudgy brownies. Butter offers more flavor but creates an aeration in the batter that cause them to me more cakey.
There really are so many ways to jazz these brownies up. Here are a few great add-ins to try:
- Nuts: Peanuts, walnuts, macadamia nuts and pecans are all delicious.
- Candy: M&M’s, Reece’s Pieces, and toffee bits are always delicious.
- Cake mix: Dark chocolate, Devils food, Lemon, Strawberry, Cherry chip, Red velvet, Butter pecan and Yellow are great as brownies.
How to store
These are best stored in an airtight container for 4-5 days, but something tells me that won’t last that long.
Can you freeze these brownies?
These can be frozen. Make sure to let them completely cool. I like to cut mine into individual squares and then place in a freezer safe bag. You can also wrap squares individually in plastic wrap and then place in freezer bag if you would want to thaw them one at a time.
- Make sure to use an 8 x 8 baking dish or pan.
- This batter is super thick so don’t be alarmed. Make sure to either grease your baking dish well or line it with parchment paper and spray.
More amazing ways to use cake mix
- Cake mix banana bread – This is a simple way to make a quick banana bread.
- Cake mix cookie bars – These are some of my favorite. Another great recipes for kids to help make.
- Holiday bars – Perfect to make for an easy holiday dessert.
- Apricot nectar cake – One of the most popular cakes on this site.
- Chocolate chip bundt cake – Chocolate cake filled with mini chocolate chips.
***If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below.
Full video below.
More Recipes You Will Love
Cake Mix Brownies
- 1 (15.25 oz) box chocolate cake mix or any flavor you like
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup chocolate chips or white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 8 x 8 -inch baking dish with parchment paper and spray with non-stick spray. (If you don't have parchment, just spray dish.)
- Mix together cake mix, oil and eggs until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spread batter in baking dish and bake for approximately 20 minutes.
- Let cool before cutting.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.