Malibu Sunset is a beautiful and delicious Malibu drink recipe. Perfect to sip on a warm summer day or evening.
Try serving this layered rum cocktail with a few appetizers like vegetable pinwheels, cucumber avocado dip and crab cakes.
This tropical drink is full of island flavors. It’s sometimes referred to as a “Malibu Barbie” or even a “Panty dropper” but we are going to stick with the “Sunset”.
If you have never tried this cocktail I would recommend giving it a taste this summer. It is a delicious blend of flavors that really transports you to an island getaway.
I like making these in a pitcher for outdoor BBQ’s and of course a pool party.
Why this Malibu rum drink works
- A beautiful drink that looks like a beachy sunset.
- Budget friendly and only 3 ingredients.
- No need for a shaker or a blender, this is a simple poured recipe.
- Can be made into a large batch for a crowd.
What is in a Malibu Sunset?
Ice – This Malibu rum drink is best served nice and cold.
Malibu rum – This is a coconut flavored rum.
Pineapple juice – Adds a wonderful fruity flavor to this drink.
Grenadine – Or “maraschino cherry juice”, adds sweetness and gorgeous bright red color.
Maraschino cherries, pineapple chunks – Used for a garnish.
How to make
Scroll down for full printable recipe, ingredients and video.
- Ice: Fill glass with ice.
- Pour: Pour in pineapple juice and coconut rum.
- Layer: Slightly tip the glass and drizzle in grenadine for a layered cocktail look.
- Garnish: Add maraschino cherries and or pineapple and even a tiny umbrella for garnish.
- Serve: I like serving this in a shorter glass but they work well in any glass shape.
Can this be made into a big batch cocktail?
Yes, this can be made into a big batch cocktail for a crowd. Be sure to use a lot of ice in your pitcher. It will help keep the drink cool along with cutting some of the super sweetness of the drink. Use a measuring cup to measure the rum, juice and grenadine. Use 2-3 parts juice to 1 part rum depending on how strong you want to make your cocktail.
Tips for making Malibu Sunset cocktail
- Make this a non-alcoholic drink by replacing Malibu rum with coconut water.
- If you want yours a little sweeter, add more grenadine. To make stronger add a little extra rum.
- Variations: Try adding a splash of orange juice or cranberry juice to enhance the fruit flavor.
What else can you mix with Malibu?
Have leftover coconut rum after making these sunsets? Try mixing with some of these:
- Orange juice
- Lemon-Lime soda
- Ginger Beer
- Cranberry juice
More cocktail recipes
- Malibu bay breeze – Another tasty rum cocktail.
- Midori sour – Made with Midori, sour mix, citrus and soda.
- Blushing mimosa – This is a similar drink but with sparkling wine.
- Sangria float – Another fun drink for the summer. Sparkling sangria with a scoop of sorbet!
***If you made this recipe, feel free to leave a comment and rating below. This recipe is for people of drinking age. Please drink responsibly.
Watch the video below to see how to make this cocktail.
- 2 oz Malibu rum
- 4 oz pineapple juice
- 1 oz grenadine
- maraschino cherries and or pineapple chunks for garnish
- Place ice cubes in glass.
- Pour in pineapple juice and Malibu.
- Tip glass and pour in grenadine for layered look.
- Add in maraschino cherries and pineapple chunks for garnish.
This is really good! I made it using fresh pineapple and also made it into a frozen drink. It is “dangerous,” as my husband says!
Kathy L Mayes
I’ve been trying new drinks and found this one. I didn’t have Coconut rum so I substituted banana rum. It’s a wonderful drink. If you don’t like the sweetness I would add a tart juice.
Banana rum sounds like it would be delicious! I will try that next time.
What a pretty drink. This looks delicious! Perfect summer drink!
This cocktail sounds so refreshing!! I’ll need to try it for my next Facetime happy hour.
First of all thanks for sharing, I’ll definitely will make this for myself as a treat. Love the creativity you’ve done on this recipe. It looks so refreshing!
Deliciousness! I need this drink for my tonight relaxing evening!
Oh, I wish I had one of these right now! Hopefully, we can make them when the weather warms up.
This looks so refreshing. Looking forward to making this recipe.
I had this drink before and it was yummy. I love how bright and colorful it is too!
Now this sounds like the perfect summer drink, definitely something I will have to try and make up next time we have people come around!
Yes please. I’d love to be sipping on this. Plus, it’s such a pretty looking drink.
It is 5 o’clock here right now and that malibu sunset is a great idea for right now. It seems just sweet enough for everyone to really enjoy.
This sounds delicious. I’m not a HUGE spiced rum fan. I’m more of a vodka gal. But the flavors in this sound really really good. I’d definitely try it!