This easy homemade cheese popcorn recipe can be made in minutes. A delicious, cheesy snack that is perfect for movie night, parties, and gifting.
Popcorn is a classic snack that can be seasoned a variety of ways. It can be made savory or even sweet like caramel popcorn or this homemade kettle corn.
Cheese popcorn has to be one of my favorite ways to make this air popped snack. We love serving it for a family movie night at home, birthday parties, or just as a fun after school snack.
This popcorn has a delicious cheddar flavor, it’s hard to stop eating!
Cheddar cheese powder – This is the secret ingredient that will give you the perfect cheesy flavor. It’s like the cheese powder used for boxed macaroni and cheese.
You can find cheese powder at the grocery store, I found mine on the popcorn aisle, or online.
Popcorn – You can pop your own popcorn kernels or use microwave popcorn. If using a bag of popcorn, make sure to get the plain, white kind.
Butter – Unsalted, sweet cream butter is used for this recipe. Butter helps the cheese powder stick to the popcorn. Melt the butter in the microwave or on stove top.
How to make cheddar cheese popcorn
Step two: Melt butter.
Step three: Pour popcorn into a large bowl. Drizzle with melted butter and then sprinkle with cheese powder. Toss until all the popcorn is coated.
This recipe makes a great gift. No need to buy from gourmet popcorn shops, this cheddar cheese popcorn recipe tastes just like store bought and can be made at a fraction of the cost.
To gift, pour the cheese popcorn in a decorative tin, or bag for the perfect edible gift. Make sure to put it in some kind of airtight container so that it stays fresh for gifting.
- You can also make white cheddar popcorn using this same method. Simply get the white cheddar powder instead of the orange cheddar.
- This recipe is for an extra cheese flavor. You can reduce the amount of cheese powder for a less intense cheese taste.
- Note that cheese powder does tend to get on your fingers just like Cheetos and Doritos.
How to store
Leftover popcorn can be stored in an airtight container. It will last 4-5 days in the container.
More cheese recipes
- Cream cheese stuffed peppers
- Copycat Taco Bell cheese sauce
- Air fryer cheese curds
- Air fryer grilled cheese
Let me know if you made this recipe in the comments. Enjoy!
- 5 cups popped popcorn
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup cheese powder
- Pop popcorn kernels and place in a large bowl.
- Pour melted butter over popcorn.
- Sprinkle cheese powder over popcorn.
- Toss to coat all of the popcorn with cheese powder.