Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
Jun 18, 2020, Updated Jul 28, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese is a simple recipe that even the kids can make. Perfectly toasted bread with melted cheese, a classic sandwich that can be paired with many different side dishes for a delicious meal.
My air fryer has been working overtime lately. There are so many things you can easily make in it and best of all, even my kids can use it to cook. I like that they don’t have to turn on the gas stove, they just add food to the fryer basket and go.
After making these grilled cheese in the air fryer, I don’t think I will be going back to the skillet.
Why these sandwiches are delicious
- Forget the skillet, the bread get beautifully toasty in the air fryer.
- A quick and satisfying snack or meal.
I have found that there are two different kinds of people, those who make grilled cheese with butter and those that make it with mayonnaise. I’m still not sure which way I prefer so this recipe includes both in the ingredient list.
Bread – Use your favorite like sandwich bread, french bread or sourdough.
Cheese – For this recipe I used one slice cheddar and one slice Havarti. Some of the best cheeses to use are ones that melt well like Provolone, Mozzarella, Swiss and American. Feel free to also use your favorite shredded cheese.
Butter OR Mayonnaise – They are both so good, you can’t go wrong.
How to make air fryer grilled cheese
Scroll to bottom for full printable recipe, ingredients and video.
- Spread: Spread one side of each piece of bread with either softened butter or mayonnaise.
- Build: Place bread spread side down in the fryer basket. Top with cheese and then top with another piece of bread, spread side up.
- Cook: Air fryer on 370 degrees F for 4 minutes, flip the sandwiches over and cook at 370 degrees for another 4 minutes.
- I did not preheat my air fryer for this recipe but if you machine requires it, preheat for 3-5 minutes.
- Be sure not to overcrowd the basket. Two sandwiches should be able to fit depending on the bread size.
- If the bread you are using is thin, you might want to insert a toothpick in the center of the sandwich to prevent the bread from coming off while cooking. Air fryers cook by circulating hot air and if the bread is light and then it could possibly blow off.
- To reduce calories and fat, replace butter with a light spray of olive oil.
- Change it up by trying different breads and cheeses.
- Try adding bacon or mustard to the sandwich.
Best air fryer to use
- OMORC – 5.8 quart basket with a great price point.
- Ninja Foodie – This machine is an air fryer, slow cooker and pressure cooker in one.
- Instant Vortex – Made by Instant Pot, this is a 6-quart fryer.
More easy air fryer recipes
- Air Fryer Turkey Meatballs – Tender, meatballs that work well for a variety of recipes.
- Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Asparagus – A wonderful side dish to impress guests.
- Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Smokies – A favorite appetizer for parties.
- Air Fryer Rotisserie Chicken – Make your own rotisserie style chicken at home
- Air Fryer Chicken Breasts – These cook up fast.
- Air Fryer Meatloaf – Tender meat with a slightly sweet sauce.
More from Food Lovin Family
***If you made this sandwich recipe, feel free to leave a comment and star rating below.
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
- 4 pieces sandwich bread
- 4 slices cheese I used 2 cheddar and 2 Havarti
- 3 tablespoons butter could also use mayonnaise
- Spread butter or mayonnaise on one side of each piece of bread.
- Lay a piece of bread, spread side down, in air fryer basket. Top with 2 slices of cheese and place another piece of bread, spread side up, on top of cheese.
- Cook sandwiches at 370 degrees F for 4 minutes, flip the sandwiches over and cook at 370 degrees for another 4 minutes or until desired toast.
- Serve warm.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.