Microwave cauliflower is an easy side dish that can be made in about 10 minutes. This is a simple, delicious way to steam cauliflower for a healthy side dish.
This microwave method is fast and cooks the cauliflower nice and tender-crisp. No steamer basket is required, just one bowl and your done.
Cauliflower – You will need a head of fresh cauliflower.
Water – Cold water is used to help steam and soften.
Optional – Add your favorite seasonings like salt, pepper and garlic powder. You can even add some butter for a rich and creamy dish.
How to microwave cauliflower
- Clean off the cauliflower and cut into bite sized florets.
- Put the florets in a microwave safe bowl and then pour in water.
- Place plastic wrap over the bowl to cover. You could also use a microwave safe plate or lid to cover the bowl.
- Carefully remove the bowl from the microwave. Pierce the cauliflower with a fork to check for desired doneness. If you prefer softer, cover and microwave for another 1-2 minutes.
- Season with desired seasonings.
How to cut cauliflower florets
Here is a simple method for cutting florets.
Step one: Remove the leaves from the base of the cauliflower.
Step two: Cut it in half and then cut the halves in half.
Step three: Angle the knife to cut out the core and then pull apart the florets.
How to microwave a whole cauliflower
If you would like to steam the whole cauliflower instead of florets, remove the green leaves and trim the stem.
Place the whole head in a microwave safe dish, stem side down and pour in 1/4 cup of water. Cover and cook about 8- 10 minutes.
How to store
The steamed cauliflower can be refrigerated in an airtight container for 3-4 days. After that it starts to get a little mushy.
Reheat in the microwave for about one minute or place in the oven or air fryer to warm through.
What to serve with cauliflower
This is a great side dish for a variety of meals. Try it with things like:
- When picking a fresh cauliflower, try to find one that is cream in color and hasn’t started to turn brown.
- Cook time may vary depending on how much you are cooking. Check after 5 minutes and if the florets are still too hard, cover and cook another 1-2 minutes. Try not to over cook.
- Try cutting the florets to a similar size so they cook evenly.
- Make sure to use oven mitts or a towel to remove the bowl from the microwave. It will be hot.
- Try topping with a variety of things like Parmesan cheese, cheddar cheese sauce,
More easy vegetable recipes
- 1 head cauliflower cut into florets
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Clean and cut cauliflower into florets.
- Place florets and water in a microwave safe bowl. Cover the top of the bowl with plastic wrap like Cling wrap.
- Microwave for 5 minutes. Carefully remove bowl from microwave and remove plastic wrap.
- If adding seasonings or butter, add now and stir to coat.