Today we are sharing how to microwave spaghetti squash for tender delicious squash. This winter squash can be cooked quickly in the microwave using just water.
Spaghetti squash is a delicious, nutritious vegetable that works well for easy dinners and meal prep. Perfect for gluten-free, low carb meals and mild enough that it’s kid friendly.
What you will need
Spaghetti squash – Make sure to select a firm, yellow squash when at the store. If you feel soft spots that means it’s starting to go bad.
Knife – You will want a sharp knife to cut the squash in half.
Baking dish – A 9 x 13 casserole dish works well.
Water – Helps to keep the squash moist while cooking.
How to cook spaghetti squash in microwave
Scroll to the bottom for full printable recipe, ingredients and video.
- Soften: If you have ever tried cutting a squash before you know it can be tough. My recommendation is to poke a few small holes in the squash and microwave for 1-2 minutes to soften.
- Prepare: Cut the top and bottom off the squash and then cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and discard.
- Cook: Place squash halves in the baking dish, flesh side down. Pour water into the dish, about 1/2 cup. (Or half inch deep.) Cook for 15-20 minutes depending on size of squash.
- Shred: Once cooked, use a fork and scrape out the squash to serve.
How to serve spaghetti squash
This vegetable is super versatile and can be served in many ways. We like it as a low carb substitute for pasta. It’s great with a little butter, salt and pepper. You can also top with your favorite protein, vegetables, sauce and more.
How to store
Store: Let completely cool and then store in and airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Freeze: To freeze, let squash completely cool. Place in freezer safe bags and try to remove as much air from the bag as possible. Freeze for up to 6 months.
How to reheat spaghetti squash in microwave
Reheat leftover squash in a heat safe bowl in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
Microwave spaghetti squash with plastic wrap
It’s not necessary to use plastic wrap when cooking the squash. You can use it to help steam the squash but it cooks just fine without using wrap.
What does spaghetti squash taste like?
One thing I like about this squash is that it tends to take on the flavor of what you serve it with like pasta sauce. When cooked in the microwave, it is tender and has a slightly sweet flavor.
More easy recipes
- Fried yellow squash – Sliced yellow squash lightly fried.
- Instant Pot Broccoli – How to steam broccoli in the instant pot.
- Air fryer baked potatoes – Make delicious baked potatoes with crispy skins in the air fryer.
- Air fryer vegetables – Lightly seasoned vegetables roasted in the air fryer.
- Air fryer broccoli – Roasted broccoli cooked in the air fryer.
*** If you made this recipe, please feel free to leave a comment and star rating below.
Microwave Spaghetti Squash
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1/2 cup water
- Cut the top and bottom off the spaghetti squash then cut squash in half lengthwise.
- Using a spoon, scoop out seeds and set aside.
- Place squash halves in a 9x13 baking dish, flesh side down. Pour in 1/2 cup water. (Or enough water to be about 1/2-inch deep.)
- Place in the microwave and cook for 15 minutes. When pressing on top of the spaghetti squash it should feel soft. If still hard, microwave another 5 minutes.
- Using a fork, shred the spaghetti squash and serve warm.