Aug 14, 2020, Updated Oct 31, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This homemade chili seasoning can be used for a variety of dishes but is especially good for a pot of chili. A flavorful blend of dried spices that will take your chili to the next level.
Why make homemade seasoning mixes
- You are able to control the amount of spice and sodium.
- No added preservatives or strange ingredients.
- Very budget friendly. Make a large batch of seasoning for a fraction of the cost of pre-packaged.
What spices to put in chili
This chili spice mix recipe is made of just a few different spices that you might already have in your spice cabinet.
Chili powder – This makes up the bulk of the mix.
Paprika – Made from dried chilis and has a slight sweetness.
Ground cumin – Adds an earthy flavor.
Salt and pepper
Optional: Cayenne pepper for added heat.
What is chili powder?
Chili powder is a blend of dried spices, usually one or more varieties of chilis. It’s typically used to season chili or other dishes. Chili seasoning is different than just the powder because it’s a mix of 5 or more additional spices.
How to make the chili seasoning recipe
Scroll to the bottom for full printable recipe, ingredients and video.
- Mix: Combine all of the spices in a bowl.
- Store: Store in a glass jar until ready to use.
- If you would like to make a larger batch of seasoning, triple or quadruple the amount of ingredients. You can then use 2 tablespoons for one batch of chili, or 1 pound of meat.
- I would recommend using fresh, dried spices for this blend.
How to store
Store: Store chili seasoning in a glass jar with a lid or glass spice jar. Depending on how fresh the dried spices are when making, this mix should last for about 1 year.
How to use chili seasoning
This recipe is enough to season one recipe of chili. Approximately the same amount as what you would find in a prepackaged mix from the store. Here are a few ideas for how to use this mix.
- Turkey chili stuffed sweet potatoes
- Sprinkle on roasted potatoes or french fries
- Sprinkle on corn on the cob
Variations or secret ingredients for chili
This chili seasoning recipe is pretty classic. There are a few additional secret ingredients you can add-in if you are more adventurous.
- Beer: We do occasionally like to add in some beer into our chili. Use whatever you have in the refrigerator.
- Cinnamon: I know this one sounds a little out there but it adds a nice flavor that will have your guests guessing.
- Cocoa powder: Use a pinch of unsweetened cocoa powder to add rich, earthy flavor.
- Oregano: Add 1/2 teaspoon of oregano for an additional layer of flavor.
Best pre-packaged chili seasoning mix?
If you are in a hurry and have to use a pre-packaged mix, I would recommend using McCormick chili seasoning mix.
More easy, homemade recipes
- Buffalo sauce – Easy homemade buffalo sauce.
- Taco sauce – Similar to Taco Bell sauce.
- Chick-Fil-A sauce – Make your own copycat recipe at home.
- Tartar sauce – This sauce is perfect for seafood and chicken.
- Cocktail sauce – Great for shrimp cocktail, fish and more.
***If you made this recipe, feel free to leave a comment and star rating below.
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Mix together spices in a bowl and store in a glass jar.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.