Microwave acorn squash is the perfect fall and winter dish. Acorn squash cooked in the microwave until soft and then seasoned either sweet or savory.
If you enjoy cooking with squash be sure to check out air fryer spaghetti squash, microwave spaghetti squash , air fryer acorn squash and roasted butternut squash.
Why you should cook acorn squash in microwave
- Fast – Can be made in about 10 minutes.
- Stuff – Quick to cook and then can be stuffed with your favorite filling or seasoning.
- Healthy – Great for a gluten-free, vegetarian, whole 30 and Paleo diet. (Without butter and sugar.)
Acorn squash – A winter squash that is mostly green and orange on the outside and orange in color on the inside. When selecting one at the store, look for a heavy squash without blemishes.
Butter – Sweet cream unsalted butter adds a little bit of butter adds flavor to the squash. Feel free to omit if you would like to lower fat and calories.
Brown sugar and cinnamon
Salt and pepper
How to cut acorn squash
I prefer to start by cutting off the stem. You do not have to do this, I just find it easier.
Use a sharp knife and cut through the top center of the squash down to the bottom or if you remove the stem first, sometimes it’s easier to cut from the bottom down to the top.
Scoop out the seeds with a spoon.
How to make microwave acorn squash
Scroll to the bottom for full, printable recipe, ingredients and video.
- Wash: Wash of the squash with water and pat dry with paper towel.
- Cut: Cut the squash in half from top to bottom. To make it easier to cut, microwave the whole squash for 1-2 minutes before slicing in half.
- Seeds: Scoop out seeds with spoon and discard.
- Cook: Place squash halves cut side down into a small baking dish. Microwave for 10-12 minutes.
- Filling: If you want a simple, savory acorn squash, flip the squash cut side up and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and serve. For sweet squash, flip cut side up and add butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cook for another 1-2 minutes in the microwave to melt the butter. Serve.
How to store
Store: Store leftover squash in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Freeze: Cook acorn squash in the microwave but do not add butter, sugar or cinnamon. Remove pulp and place in a freezer safe bag or container. It can be frozen for 8-10 months.
Is microwave acorn squash healthy
It’s full of antioxidants, vitamins and nutrients like potassium, fiber and vitamin C and A. To keep this low in calorie, leave out the butter and brown sugar.
Can you eat the skin?
Yes, you can eat the skin. I will say when eating the skin, I prefer to roast the squash.
What to serve with acorn squash
More easy side dish recipes
- Air fryer broccoli – Fast and easy roasted broccoli.
- Air fryer carrots – Lightly roasted carrots.
- Air fryer baked potatoes – Easy to make baked potatoes.
- Pea salad – Creamy salad with crisp peas, bacon and cheese.
*** If you made this recipe, please feel free to leave a comment and rating below.
Microwave Acorn Squash
- 1 acorn squash
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Wash of the squash with water and pat dry with paper towel.
- Cut the squash in half. To make it easier to cut, microwave the whole squash for 1-2 minutes before slicing in half.
- Scoop out seeds with spoon and discard.
- Place squash halves cut side down into a small baking dish. Microwave for 10-12 minutes.
- If you want a simple, savory acorn squash, flip the squash cut side up and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and serve. For sweet squash, flip cut side up and add butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cook for another 1-2 minutes in the microwave to melt the butter. Serve.
What wattage for microwave? I have an 1100 watt one. Another recipe said it should be 1600 watts. Would the times you posted for cooking be for an 1100 watt one?
Yes it will work for a 1100 watt microwave. The size of the acorn squash could make a difference in time so I recommend just checking the squash with a fork and add minutes to your desired softness.