Cowboy Baked Beans are a staple at our house during the summer. Adding in some ground beef, onion and even brown sugar set them apart from original baked beans. This makes a great addition to potlucks, BBQ’s and dinner.
I grew up in a beanless home. My mom is not a fan of any kind of bean, including baked beans. It wasn’t until I was a little older that I realized I LOVE beans. My mom had been depriving me of these little things my whole childhood and now I need to make up for the lost bean years. Love ya mom! 🙂
A few summers ago I was introduced to cowboy beans at a BBQ. They are baked beans with ground beef. I fell in love with the meatiness along with the sweet, salty and tangy combination of flavors.
How to make baked beans:
To make these cowboy baked beans, brown the meat and onion, stir in beans, ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, garlic powder and Worcestershire sauce. Pour the mixture into a 9×13 baking dish and bake for 45 minutes. You can also cook it in a slow cooker on low for a few hours.
I like using Bush’s Original Baked Beans for this recipe but feel free to use your favorite type of beans. You can also add a small can of black beans, drained, to give it extra heartiness. These are some of the best baked beans and have quickly become a family favorite that we serve at all of our summer BBQ’s.
Cowboy baked beans are great served:
- As a side dish
- On top of a baked potato
- On top of a hot dog
- On top of french fries
- With Peach Honey BBQ Ribs or Cola BBQ Ribs
Cowboy Baked Beans
- 1 cup diced onion about 1 medium onion
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 28 oz can of Bush's Original Baked Beans
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9x13 casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a skillet, brown ground beef and onion over medium heat.
- Once browned, drain any excess liquid out of the pan.
- Add garlic powder, beans, mustard, ketchup, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce.
- Pour into prepared casserole dish and bake for 45 minutes.