How To Boil Hot Dogs
Jul 09, 2020, Updated Apr 26, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Today we are sharing how to boil hot dogs. This is a quick and easy way to cook hot dogs and a great method for cooking a full pack all at once.
Growing up I still remember a friend of mine that would eat their hot dogs right from the package. They are actually fully cooked when you buy them from the store and can be eaten straight from the packaging. I personally think they are soooo much better served steaming hot in a bun with toppings.
There are many different ways to cook hot dogs, boil, crockpot, air fry, grill and microwave. Boiling is an easy method that is great for cooking several at once and can even be used to cook frozen hot dogs.
Why this recipe works
- These hot dogs can be ready in 10 minutes.
- Makes it easy to cook a pack of hot dogs at once.
- Easy lunch or dinner that the kids will be excited to eat.
How to boil hot dogs
Scroll to the bottom for full, printable recipe and video.
- Boil: Pour 4 cups of water in large saucepan. Boil water over high heat. (If you want to cook more than 8, fill a larger pot about 1/2 way with water.)
- Cook: Add hot dogs to water and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Serve: Drain water and serve hot dogs with your favorite toppings.
How long to boil hot dogs?
Once water is boiling, hot dogs will boil for 5 minutes to cook through.
Can you boil frozen hot dogs?
Yes, you can boil hot dogs from frozen. They will need to boil 8-10 minutes to cook through.
How to keep hot dog skins from splitting?
When boiling hot dogs, you shouldn’t have the problem of them splitting. If using another cooking method, try poking a few small holes in the dog.
Add a little extra flavor to your hot dogs by using a different liquid to boil them.
- Beer: Boiling hot dogs in beer adds a great layer of flavor. Pour your favorite beer in saucepan and add another 1-2 cups of water. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Broth: Replace water with chicken, beef, or vegetable broth.
Hot dog topping ideas
There are so many ways to top a hot dog. Here are some great options to try:
- Relish or pickles
Buns can be found in the bread section of the store, usually beside the hamburger buns. Press down on them to check for the freshness. If they feel soft, they are fresh. If they feel hard to the touch, they are getting stale.
For the ultimate tasty bun, try spreading a light layer of butter or mayonnaise on the inside of the bun and broil for 1-2 minutes. I will sometimes even sprinkle a little garlic powder over the butter for extra flavor.
How to store
Packaged hot dogs usually have an expiration date. An unopened package can be frozen for up to 6 months.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container or storage bag in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
Sides to serve with hot dogs
Here are a few of our favorite recipes to serve with hot dogs:
More kid friendly food ideas
- Air fryer hamburgers – These can be cooked quickly in the air fryer.
- Crockpot taco meat – Great for taco Tuesday or a taco bar party.
- Air fryer corn dogs – Fun and easy meal.
- Sloppy Joe tacos – Sloppy Joe meat served in baked tacos.
*** If you made this recipe, please feel free to leave a comment and star rating below.
How to boil hot dogs
- 4 cups water
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns
- Add 4 cups water to large saucepan. Add hot dogs to saucepan and bring to boil.
- Boil for 5 minutes, drain water and serve.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.