These lemon butterball cookies are melt in your mouth delicious! Buttery cookies with a hint of lemon rolled in powdered sugar.
If you enjoy lemon desserts be sure to try lemon cookies , blueberry lemon pie and lemon pull-apart bread.
These lemon butterball cookies are a huge hit at our house. Buttery cookies infused with hints of lemon make a tasty combination.
I love serving them with coffee, hot tea or even a tall glass of iced tea in the summer. These sugar confections are sure to become a favorite.
Why this recipe works
- Delicious version of snowball cookies with a lemon twist.
- Great gift for friends and family.
Butter – This is the big ingredient for this cookie so make sure you use quality butter.
Powdered sugar – I like using Imperial Sugar confectioners powdered sugar
Vanilla extract – Adds a nice warm sweet note.
Lemon juice and lemon zest – This adds the perfect amount of tart to this sugar cookie.
Lemon extract – Enhances the lemon flavor.
How to make lemon butterball cookies
- Cream butter and powdered sugar together.
- Add in the vanilla and lemon extract, zest and lemon juice.
- Slowly mix in flour and salt.
- Chill the dough for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll dough into balls and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for about 12 minutes and then let cool for a few minutes and roll in powdered sugar.
- Let completely cool and roll in powdered sugar again.
Can you freeze?
These cookies can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months. You might need to re-roll them in powdered sugar once they thaw.
- Make sure butter is softened to room temperature.
- This dough can be made ahead of time, just cover and keep in the refrigerator.
- Make sure to give the dough enough time to chill, at least 30 minutes, before rolling and baking. This helps to chill butter.
- Use a tablespoon or small ice cream scoop for the batter to keep cookies even size.
For full, printable recipe, click on Lemon Butterball Cookies.
More cookie recipes to enjoy
- Butterscotch cookies – Old fashioned butterscotch cookies with nuts.
- Banana oatmeal cookies – Chewy cookies full of banana flavor. A great way to use up ripe bananas.
- Cranberry Chocolate Chip Crunch – These have so much flavor and texture.
- Ginger cookies – Chewy, molasses ginger cookies are a favorite around the holidays.
**I have an ongoing relationship with Dixie Crystals for recipe development. I was compensated for my time to create this recipe. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Can you add pecans to the lemon snow ball cookies.
I think it would be fine to add crushed pecans but I have not tried it.