Homemade pumpkin pie spice is simple to make at home is great to use for many different recipes. This blend of warm spices really brings out all the wonderful fall flavors.
No need to buy expensive spice mixes when you can easily make them at home. A few of our other favorites are apple pie spice, Jamaican jerk spice, chicken seasoning and french fry seasoning.
Fall and winter are my favorite times or year to be in the kitchen baking. The house just fills with so many amazing smells.
I tend to use a hefty quantity of pumpkin pie spice during this time of year so instead of paying for a small little bottle I like to make my own. It’s so inexpensive and usually the spices needed are already in the cabinet.
What is pumpkin spice made of?
*** Some recipes also use ground cardamom. I don’t feel it’s necessary but if you like extra spice, add about 1/2 teaspoon to the mix.
How to make homemade pumpkin pie spice
Scroll to the bottom for full, printable recipe, ingredients and video.
- Stir: Place all of the spices in a bowl and stir them together to combine.
- Store: Store the spices in an airtight container.
How to store
Store: Keep the homemade spice mix in an airtight container or jar with lid. Store in a cool, dark place to keep the spices fresh. This mix should last about one year if you started with fresh spices.
- When making homemade seasoning mixes, try to fresh spices. You can check out the date on the container before mixing.
- This pumpkin pie spice recipe makes a great gift. I love giving a jar to my friends and neighbors for the fall.
- The wonderful thing about making your own blends is that you control the ingredients. You can adjust the amount of each ingredient to your taste.
- This recipe makes 5 tablespoons. Feel free to cut the recipe in half or double depending on how much you need.
What is similar to pumpkin pie spice?
Apple pie spice mix can be used as a substitute for pumpkin pie spice if needed. It’s ingredients are very similar except it doesn’t have ginger.
What can I make with pumpkin pie spice?
This flavorful blend can be used in so many different recipes. I even like adding some to my pancakes and waffles in the morning or a little sprinkle in my coffee or frappuccino.
Here are a few of our favorite pumpkin recipes:
- Pumpkin dip – Easy to make, creamy dip that uses pumpkin spice mix.
- Pumpkin magic bars – Layered dessert bars with chocolate chips, coconut, pumpkin and more.
- Pumpkin cheesecake bars – The best pumpkin cheesecake bar recipe.
- Pumpkin chocolate chip bars – Pumpkin cookie bars with chocolate chips.
- Crustless pumpkin cheesecake – Easy to make pumpkin cheesecake without having to make a crust.
*** If you made this recipe, please feel free to leave a comment and star rating below.
Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 3 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons allspice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground clove
- Place all of the spices in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Store in an airtight container when not using.
Oh cool! This is so easy to make! I am happy we all have these spices at home.
Wow! I am thinking of doing my own pumpkin pie spice at home and this recipe is really perfect. Thank you for sharing.
I use a lot pumpkin spice in my kitchen during the fall season. I am so glad that I can do it at home now with your recipe!
You need this in your spice cabinet. There are so many great uses for it.
Margarita Ibbott @DownshiftingPRO
Whenever I think of pumpkin pie I always think of my sister’s mother in law. I’m not a fan but I did love her pie. I’ll send the recipe to my sister for her to try.
I have apple pie and pumpkin pie spice mix I made in my cabinet right now. I Love making my own!
I love pumpkin. I enjoy cutting up the actual pumpkin for pies after halloween. These are great recipes for the spice.
This is making me excited for fall…my favorite season. I have not tried making my own pumpkin pie spice. Will try your recipe soon.
Making your own spice is really good and I am so excited to make this spice recipe, thank you!
I love making my own seasonings because I can adjust to the taste I want. Since it’s pumpkin season, it’s the perfect time to try this!
I love pumpkin everything, so this is perfect for me. I am so excited it’s pumpkin season again!