Apple Pie Spice
Sep 09, 2019, Updated Sep 01, 2020
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Make your own apple pie spice at home in minutes! This blend is perfect for all kinds of desserts, breakfast and snacks. I love having a jar of this in my spice rack, especially in the fall.
It’s that time of year for the warm, spicy smells of fall baking. There is something about the smell of cinnamon that screams apples, pumpkins and everything fall.
No need to spend extra on those pre-made spice blends for fall baking when you can make your own mix at home for pennies. One of my favorite things to make with apple pie spice is this easy homemade apple pie filling.
What is apple spice made of?
This spice blend includes cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. Some blends also include cardamom and ground ginger. If you would like to include these spice use can add 1/2 teaspoon each.
What is the difference between apple pie spice and pumpkin pie spice?
There is just a slight difference between the two spice blends. Pumpkin pie spice includes clove and does not use allspice. I also love having a jar of this for all of those delicious pumpkin recipes!
Recipes with apple pie spice
There are so many ways to incorporate this apple pie spice blend, it’s also great to give away as a gift. Some of my favorite recipes you can use this mix in are:
I also love adding to pancake mix, muffins and even for snickerdoodle cookies!
How to store
Keep your homemade spice mix in a jar with a lid or an airtight container in a cool, dark place. This mix should last about a year depending on how old each spice was when opened.
- Try and use fresh spices. Make sure to look at the date on the container before mixing.
- Homemade spice mixes make wonderful gifts. Put them in a nice jar with a little twine or ribbon for a thoughtful gift.
- If you are making for a gift or need a larger amount, simply double or triple the recipe below.
What can be used in place of apple pie spice?
Making your own spice mix at home allows us to adjust the amount of mix you make. So if you don’t want to buy a whole apple pie spice mix from the store, it’s easy to make the amount you need at home.
If you don’t have all three spices, I would recommend using at least cinnamon and then either nutmeg or allspice.
More fall dessert recipes
- Pumpkin cheesecake brownies – Brownie bites with pumpkin cheesecake swirl.
- Pumpkin chocolate chip bars – Pumpkin cookie bars filled with chocolate chips.
- Butterscotch brownies – This is a family favorite.
***If you made this recipe, be sure to give it a star rating below.
Apple Pie Spice
- 3 tablespoons Cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons Nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon Allspice
- Stir spices together and store in an airtight container.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.