French Fry Seasoning adds so much extra flavor to fries, potatoes, burgers, chicken, vegetables and more. It can be made quickly and then stored with your spices.
This spice mix is perfect to sprinkle on air fryer frozen french fries, onion rings and even air fryer burgers.
What do you put on French fries?
I think the answer is different for everyone. Salt or seasoned salt is the classic way to spice up fries.
What about dipping? Ketchup, Fry Sauce, even this copycat Chick-Fil-A sauce.
Once I started using this best homemade French fry seasoning I never turned back. It adds just the perfect amount of flavor and zip to many recipes.
What spices are in french fry seasoning?
One reason I love making my own spice blends instead of buying them at the store, is that I can control what goes in them. No extra weird ingredients and the ability to control the measurements.
One quick tip for this blend, I recommend using regular salt so that it sticks better to the fries. Typically, I use sea salt when I’m cooking but since it’s a little larger, I found that it wouldn’t stick to the fries well.
The spices you need are:
- Black pepper
- Onion salt
- Garlic powder
How to make
Scroll to the bottom for full, printable recipe, ingredients and video.
- Mix: Add all the spices to a small bowl and stir together until combined. Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
When do you season fries?
Seasoning fries before or after depends on how you cook them.
- Air Frying or Baking: You will want to season BEFORE cooking. I also like to add a little extra seasoning right after the cook.
- Frying: Season right AFTER they come out of the hot oil so the seasoning sticks.
How to season homemade French fries
- Baked or Air Fried French Fries: Once the cut potatoes have been patted dry, toss them in olive oil. Sprinkle fry seasoning over the potatoes and either bake or air fry. Once they have finished cooking, I like to add a little extra seasoning.
- Deep Fried: Once they have finished frying, immediately sprinkle with seasoning. You want it to stick to the oil.
How to store
Store this seasoning blend in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. I like to keep mine in a small glass jar or a container with a shaker top.
Depending on how old your spices are, this blend could last 1-2 years.
What to put French fry seasoning on?
This seasoning isn’t just for fries. Here are a few recipes to use this flavorful seasoning blend.
- Ranch potato wedges – Replace the ranch seasoning with this blend.
- Air fryer tator tots – Sprinkle on right after they are finished cooking.
- Roasted potatoes – These potatoes are roasted to perfection in the air fryer. Add seasoning before or after cooking.
- Sweet potato fries – These delicious sweet potatoes are baked in the oven. Season before baking.
***If you made this recipe, please feel free to leave a comment and star rating below.
French Fry Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- Mix all of the spices in a small bowl. Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
A good seasoning makes all the difference on fries! This looks so yummy.
Janeane M Davis
You are right, this is a great seasoning mix that can be put on a lot of different dishes. I like that it can be made from things most of us already have in our pantries.
One of my guilty pleasures in life is good french fries and that entails spices like this recipe. I will be trying this for sure. Thanks for sharing.
Jenn @ EngineerMommy
This totally reminds me of the French fry seasoning from Red Robin. It’s so good and now I can make my own version at home.
My family loves French fries a lot. We often make them baked or in the Air Fryer. I will try this seasoning next time!
I love to eat a good french fries most especially if it have a good seasoning and this one looks really delicious. I will try this!
Ooh this sounds good! I’m a potato-holic so I will have to try this.
There is nothing quite like seasoned fries is there? This sounds like an absolutely delicious one for them, I am going to have to try it for myself.
I must try this! We make fries a ton a this seasoning sounds incredible.