Meatloaf Seasoning Recipe
Oct 24, 2022, Updated May 15, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This simple meatloaf seasoning recipe will add incredible flavor to your homemade meatloaf. The perfect blend of spices will take your meatloaf recipe from good to out of this world. Use this spice mix for the best meatloaf ever!
How do you add flavor to meatloaf?
Meatloaf is a classic dinner that is easy to make and a favorite with family and friends. The secret to the best, most flavorful meatloaf ever is this meatloaf seasoning mix.
You don’t need to use a store bought packet of seasoning because you can make your own in minutes without all of those extra preservatives.
Ingredients needed for meatloaf seasoning recipe
Just a few simple spices are needed for this seasoning blend. This recipe works great with 2 pounds of ground meat.
- Ground Black Pepper
- Ground Dried Mustard
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Dried Thyme
- Dried Basil
How to make homemade meatloaf seasoning
- Mix: Place all of the spices in a bowl. Stir until combined.
- Add to your meatloaf recipe or store in an airtight container for later use.
You can change up the spices for personal preference. A few suggestions are:
- Italian seasoning – Replace the basil and thyme with Italian seasoning.
- Spicy – Like a little heat to your meatloaf? Try stirring in 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper or replace basil and thyme with Cajun seasoning.
How to use the seasoning
Add your seasonings in when making your ground meat mixture. Make sure to combine the meatloaf ingredients well without over mixing so that the meatloaf doesn’t become tough.
How to store meatloaf spices
Store: If you aren’t ready to use the seasoning and need to store it, place in an airtight container like a jar and store in a cool dark place like a pantry or cabinet. The seasoning mix will last up to 6 months.
So forget buying the pre-made meatloaf seasoning, you can easily make your own spice blend at home.
More seasoning mixes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground dried mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Place all of the ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Use for a two pound meatloaf or place in an airtight container and store for later use.
- Note: When making the meatloaf, add in the seasoning mixture when mixing the ground meat.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.