Lemon drop shots are an easy, classic drink. Made with fresh lemon juice, cold vodka and a little bit of sugar, this lemon drop shot recipe is a keeper.
If you like simple, sweet cocktails, be sure to try this Cinnamon Toast Crunch Shot made with Rumchata.
Why you will enjoy this drink
- Only 3 easy ingredients needed.
- A delicious mix of sweet and sour.
- Quick and easy to make.
What is a lemon drop shot made of?
Fresh Lemon Juice – I highly recommend using fresh lemon juice. It makes a big difference in the taste of the shot. I also recommend Meyer lemons if you can find them. They have a sweet, less tart taste. Make sure to remove any seeds.
Sugar – Use granulated sugar to rim the glass and to add to the drink mixture. You could use a sugar cube, but I prefer the granulated so that it disperses in the drink.
Vodka – Feel free to use your favorite vodka, you can even use lemon flavored vodka for enhanced lemon flavor. I used 5 Sisters but Ketle One, Tito’s, Grey Goose and Absolut are great choices.
How to make lemon drop shots
Scroll to bottom for full, printable recipe, ingredients and video.
- Rim glass: Place sugar in a small bowl or plate. Dip rim of shot glass in water and then in sugar.
- Shaker: Add ice, remaining sugar, fresh lemon juice and vodka to shaker. Give it a good shake several times before pouring.
- Pour: Pour mixture into prepared shot glass and serve.
- If I know I’m going to be making these shots, I like to stick the vodka in the refrigerator or freezer for 30 minutes – 1 hour to get extra chilled.
- If using a sugar cube, place the cube in the shot glass and pour vodka, lemon juice mixture over top.
- If you don’t have a cocktail shaker, stir the sugar, lemon juice and vodka together in a larger glass or large measuring glass and then pour into shot glasses.
- This recipe makes 2 shots, to get 4 servings double the recipe.
Lemon drop shots with Limoncello
If you would prefer a more intense lemon flavor, add a splash of Limoncello to the mixture with the vodka. Limoncello is an Italian liqueur with strong lemon flavor.
Lemon drop shots with simple syrup
To make this drink using simple syrup, replace granulated sugar with 2 teaspoons of simple syrup.
To make simple syrup heat 1/4 cup water and 1/4 cup sugar in a saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Pink Lemon Drop – Add 2 oz of cranberry juice to the mixture.
- Strawberry Lemon Drop – Add a tablespoon of strained, pureed strawberries to the mixture.
- Lemon drop with sweet and sour mix – Add an ounce of sweet and sour mix to the drink.
- Blueberry Lemon Drop – Add blueberry Schnapps.
More cocktail recipes
- Strawberry Mimosa – A delicious drink with Champagne and frozen strawberries.
- Malibu Sunset – The perfect summer drink.
- Malibu Bay Breeze – A fruity drink with coconut rum.
- Blushing Mimosa – Beautiful pink mimosa with fruit juice and cherries.
*** If you made this recipe, please feel free to leave a comment and star rating below.
Lemon Drop Shots
- 1.5 oz vodka
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ice For the shaker.
- Place sugar on a small plate or small bowl. Dip the rim of shot glass in water and then in the sugar to coat the rim in sugar.
- Place ice in a cocktail shaker. Pour in remaining sugar from the plate, vodka and lemon juice.
- Shake about 10-12 shakes and then pour into shot glasses. Serve cold.