Cooking frozen popcorn shrimp in the air fryer is a wonderful way to get crunchy, crispy, golden popcorn shrimp. Serve it with your favorite cocktail sauce for a delicious appetizer or main meal.
Scroll down to find out how easy it is to cook these breaded frozen shrimp in the air fryer in under 10 minutes. This method also works for larger shrimp and frozen coconut shrimp.
Why these are so good
- No need for any extra oil. This makes cooking them in the air fryer healthier than deep frying.
- The circulation of hot air helps make the shrimp’s coating super crunchy and crispy.
- Super fast to cook. No need to preheat. These can be made in under 10 minutes.
- Easy to reheat for any leftovers.
- Can be used in a variety of meals like shrimp tacos, po’boys, pasta and more.
Why are they called popcorn shrimp
Popcorn shrimp are small, bite-sized pieces of shrimp that are deveined and have their tails cut off. They typically are coated with a batter and then fried to perfection. They are called “popcorn” because of their small size and they can be eaten by the handful like popcorn.
How to make
- Place frozen shrimp in the air fryer basket. Spread them out so they are in a single layer.
- Cook at 390 degrees F for 4 minutes. Shake the basket and then cook another 3-4 minutes or until your desired crispiness.
- Carefully remove from basket and serve hot.
What’s the best frozen popcorn shrimp
This really is a matter of taste. Most are very similar. We have used Seapak, Gortons’s and even store brand and they all taste great.
This popcorn shrimp was cooked in my 5.8 quart Cosori. Each air fryer cooks a little different so I recommend checking the shrimp after a total of 7 minutes.
If you would like to add a little spice, try lightly sprinkling with Cajun seasoning immediately after they finish cooking for Cajun shrimp.
Why shake? Shaking the basket halfway through cooking helps the all sides of the shrimp cook evenly.
Each brand of shrimp is packaged in a different size, for example I bought an 18 oz box. The amount of shrimp you have doesn’t matter, just be sure to try and spread them out in a single layer. If you have extra, cook in a separate batch.
How to store and reheat fried shrimp in the air fryer
Store: Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
Reheat: The air fryer is perfect for reheating food. It is quick and makes everything taste fresh again. To reheat shrimp:
- Place the shrimp back in the air fryer basket. Cook at 350 degrees F for 4-5 minutes. You want to get the shrimp hot again without burning the outside.
What to serve with popcorn shrimp?
These are so easy to pop in your mouth, they make a great appetizer served with cocktail sauce, tartar sauce, or even Chick-Fil-A sauce.
We also love using the fried shrimp in things like po’boy sandwiches, tacos and more. You could also serve them as a main meal and serve shrimp side dishes like:
How to cook frozen coconut shrimp in air fryer?
You can use the same cooking method with coconut shrimp. Depending on size, you might need to add 2-3 minutes if they are larger. Again, I recommend checking the cooking progress around the 7 minute mark.
How to cook frozen butterfly shrimp?
You can also cook frozen fried butterfly shrimp in the air fryer. These are typically a little larger in size, so I recommend cooking at 390 degrees F for a total of 8-9 minutes. Check their doneness at the 7 minute mark and add 1-3 minutes depending on how much more done you would like them.
Does this method work for cooking frozen raw shrimp in the air fryer?
This directions are for shrimp that have already been pre-cooked so this is not how you would cook frozen raw shrimp.
More air fryer frozen food recipes
- Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Patties
- Air Fryer Egg Rolls
- Air Fryer Frozen Okra
- Air Fryer Frozen Pizza
- Air Fryer Frozen Hash Browns
Let me know if you try this delicious shrimp recipe.
Frozen Popcorn Shrimp in Air Fryer
- 1 18 oz package frozen popcorn shrimp package size is approximate and may vary depending on how many shrimp you want to cook
- Place frozen popcorn shrimp in air fryer basket.
- Cook at 390 degrees for 4 minutes. Remove the basket and shake. Cook another 3-4 minutes at 390 degrees F.
- Remove and serve hot.
I love all your air fryer recipes, thank you