Three Bean Chili (With Ground Beef)
Oct 31, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Warm you tastebuds and belly with this easy three bean chili with ground beef recipe. This comfort food classic is an amazing combination of three beans, ground beef, and a flavorful tomato based broth. A one pot meal that your family and friends will love.
Chili is the perfect meal when you want hearty, delicious comfort food. Serve it in a bowl, on top of nachos, or even on pasta for chili mac. If you want a beefier chili, be sure to check out this Texas style chili recipe.
Table of Contents
- Beans – We are using a mix of canned beans for this chili. Black beans, pinto beans, and light red kidney beans are a wonderful combination of taste and texture.
- Ground beef – Lean ground beef adds rich, meaty flavor. You could substitute with ground bison, ground turkey, or ground chicken.
- Seasonings – You will need chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt, and ground black pepper. You can also substitute with 2.5 tablespoons of this homemade chili seasoning.
- Tomatoes – For the tomato base I am using petite diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste.
- Broth – Beef broth gives extra beefy flavor.
- Onion – Use white onion, red onion, or diced green onions.
How to make three bean chili
Step one: Beef – Brown the ground beef in a large pot over medium heat. Drain off any excess grease. Add in diced onion and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Step two: Seasonings – Add in chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and tomato paste. Stir to combine.
Step three: Beans – Stir in beef stock, black beans, pinto beans, and kidney beans. Stir again. Let the chili come to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
Chili topping ideas
Try adding extra flavor with some of these topping ideas:
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese
- Sliced jalapenos
- Green onions
- Hot sauce
- Corn chips
- Tomatoes – You can substitute petite diced tomatoes with a can of Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilis.
- Vegetables – Try adding in diced bell peppers, corn kernels, or diced jalapeno for extra heat.
How to store
Chili makes the best leftovers. This list of recipes using leftover chili will give you ideas on how to use what you have left.
Store: Let the chili cool and then store in an airtight container. It will last about 4 days in the refrigerator. Reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
Freeze: Chili freezes well. Let cool and store in a freezer safe container or bag. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight and the reheat on the stove or microwave.
What to serve with chili
There are so many things to serve with your big bowl of chili like tortilla chips, cornbread, and more. Be sure to check out our list of 27 best chili side dishes for more ideas.
I hope you love this and be sure to check out some other easy dinner ideas. Let me know what you think of this chili recipe in the comments.
More beefy recipes
Three Bean Chili
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 15 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 2 cup beef broth
- 1 15 ounce can light red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- Brown the ground beef in a large pot over medium heat. Drain off any excess grease. Add in diced onion and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and tomato paste. Stir to combine.
- Stir in beef stock, black beans, pinto beans, and kidney beans. Stir again. Let the chili come to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.