Turkey Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are loaded with flavorful turkey chili and topped with cheese, sour cream and green onion. They make a comforting, nutritious meal that everyone will enjoy.
It is the middle of spring and the weather has been crazy. One day it is 90 degrees, the next it is rainy and 60. This past week has been on the rainy and cold side and trust me, I know that I should be eating salads because swimsuit season is coming up, but I just wanted some good ole hearty comfort food. Luckily, this turkey chili stuffed sweet potato won’t break my calorie bank.
It starts off with a quick and flavorful turkey chili. Brown some ground turkey meat, add in onion, garlic and I like to sneak in some finely diced red bell peppers into the chili for some extra nutrients. They blend in so well, the kids don’t even realize they are eating them. Mix in tomato sauce, chili powder, beans and water. Simmer for a few minutes and the topping is ready. For the sweet potatoes, I prefer to bake them in the oven but if you are in a real hurry, you can cook them in the microwave for around 10 minutes.
If you really just are not a sweet potato fan, this chili is great on top of a baked potato and I have even been known to put it on french fries…yes, french fries.
More Easy Recipes
Turkey Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion diced small
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced small
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 15oz can kidney beans, drained
- 1 15oz can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 sweet potatoes
- sour cream shredded cheddar cheese, green onion - optional
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash sweet potatoes and pierce the skins several times with a fork. Place them on foil lined baking sheet.
- Bake sweet potatoes for 60-90 minutes or until soft.
- While sweet potatoes are baking, add olive oil and ground turkey to a large pot.
- Cook turkey over medium heat until cooked through, about 5-8 minutes.
- Once the turkey has browned, add onion and red pepper. Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Next add the drained kidney beans, tomato sauce, chili powder, salt and water.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Once the sweet potatoes have finished baking, slice each one open and gently mash the insides.
- Place about 1/2 cup of chili over each potato and then top with cheese.
- Place potatoes back in oven for 2-4 minutes to melt cheese.
- Add sour cream, cheese and green onion on top before serving.