Fresh apple cake with butterscotch chips is a cross between a cake and a bar. It is filled with fresh apples, butterscotch chips and cinnamon. This cake is delicious and moist, the perfect fall treat.
Last week for fall break we decided to do a staycation instead of going to a warm and sunny beach or Disney or some place exotic. I mean, Atlanta has a lot to offer, right? 🙂 My favorite thing we did was going to pick apples in the Georgia mountains. The weather was gorgeous and the leaves were just starting to change colors.
Each kid got a bag and we set off into the orchard to pick the prettiest apples. Elle insisted that we pick her up so she could reach the apples at the top of the tree. We brought home 3 big bags of golden delicious, pink ladies and granny smith, all perfect for baking.
As soon as we got home I got to work making the apple cake. This cake might look familiar to you because it is already on the blog. This cake was one of my early recipes and because I love it so much, I decided to spruce up the pictures. You can check out the old pictures here.
I like to make this apple cake in a brownie pan so it comes out more like a bar. The batter is thick when you mix it up. Be sure to spread it out in the pan before putting in the oven.
The cake itself is not super sweet but the butterscotch chips add just the right amount of sugary deliciousness. I am known to eat this cake for breakfast with my coffee and then to have a piece of it at night with a little vanilla ice cream. Don’t judge. 🙂 Fresh apple cake with butterscotch chips is one of my favorite must make fall recipes.
Fresh apple cake with butterscotch chips
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cup chopped apples skin off
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl mix oil, eggs, and sugar.
- Sift flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and baking powder together in medium bowl.
- Mix dry ingredients in with eggs mixture.
- Stir in apples and 3/4 cup butterscotch chips.
- Spread in a greased 9x13 brownie pan.
- Sprinkle with remaining butterscotch chips.
- Bake for 35-40 or until toothpick is clean when inserted in middle of cake.