Homemade Apple Pie Filling is so easy to make and great to have around for pies, cakes and to top ice cream! The perfect way to use up extra apples.
Ingredients Needed: apples, lemon juice, butter, sugar, cinnamon, corn starch, nutmeg and allspice
BEST APPLE PIE FILLING
Fall is here and that means apples! Apple picking is one of our favorite things to do as a family and I love coming up with ways to use the apples in different recipes. Some of my favorite are apple cake , apple oatmeal cups or these cinnamon apple nut blondies. I also love making this filling because it is to easy freeze and great to have on hand for lots of things.
What Are Good Apples For Pie?
My top apple choice is Granny Smith. They are sturdy and have a nice sweet and tart taste. Pink Ladies, Fuji, Braeburn and Jonagolds work well too. You can also use two different kinds when making filling for a little extra flavor.
How To Make Homemade Apple Pie Filling
You won’t believe how easy this is to make! I love making a big batch of filling, especially in the fall, for all kinds of desserts and even breakfast.
- Begin by peeling and dicing the apples. I like to cut the apples on the small side because they are easier to eat. Feel free to slice them if that is what you prefer. Toss apples in lemon juice, this helps prevent the apples from browning.
- Place butter and spices in a large skillet or saucepan. Stir until butter has melted.
- Add in apples, sugar and water. Stir for about 5 minutes.
- While the apples are cooking, whisk together cornstarch and water in a small bowl.
- Drizzle the cornstarch mixture in with the apples and stir another 3-5 minutes until the mixture thickens.
- Use the filling or let completely cool and store in containers. I typically store mine in mason jars or in freezer bags.
IDEAS ON HOW TO USE APPLE PIE FILLING
There are many ways to use this fruit filling. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Dump Cake
- Pancake Topping
- Ice Cream Topping
- Apple Pie
- Apple Tart
- Apple Turnover
Can You Freeze Apple Pie Filling
Yes! Let the mixture completely cool and then place in freezer bags. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Once you are ready to eat, place the freezer bag in the refrigerator to thaw and then heat gradually in a saucepan.
Once you make this homemade pie filling you won’t want to buy the canned version again!
**Did you make this recipe? Please be sure to give it a star rating below.
Apple Pie Filling
- 4 large apples, peeled and cubed I used Granny Smith
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1.5 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Peel and chop apples. Toss in lemon juice.
- In a large skillet, heat butter and cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice over medium heat. Stir until butter melts.
- Stir in diced apples, water and sugar. Stir for approximately 5 minutes or until apples start to soften.
- While the apples are cooking, whisk together cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of water in a small bowl. Drizzle cornstarch mixture over apples and continue cooking for another 3-5 minutes.
- Serve or let cool and store in a container.