Roasted Delicata Squash (Oven and Air Fryer)
Sep 21, 2020
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Roasted delicata squash is so delicious and easy to make. Learn how to cook delicata squash in the oven and air fryer in just a few simple steps.
Delicata squash – This squash is a winter squash that is cream and green in color. It’s also known as a “sweet potato squash” because it’s sweet in flavor. They taste similar to a butternut squash.
You can store these squashes in a cool place for up to 3-4 weeks before cooking.
Olive oil, salt and pepper
How to cut delicata squash
Be sure to wash squash well before cutting. Slice off both ends of the squash.
Cut the squash lengthwise. Scoop out seeds with spoon and set aside.
Do you peel delicata squash?
No need for peeling! You can eat the skin and it’s delicious once roasted.
How to cook roasted delicata squash
Scroll to the bottom for full printable recipe, ingredients and video.
- Prepare: Wash the squash well since you can eat the skin. Cut off both ends of the squash and discard them.
- Cut: Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Slice the squash into 1/2 inch slices.
- Season: Toss slices in olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Oven: Place slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes, flip the squash and cook another 10 – 15 minutes.
- Air Fryer: Place slices in air fryer basket and cook at 400 degrees F for 5 minutes, flip and then another 5 minutes.
How to store
Store: Let the squash cool and store in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
Freeze: Let the slices cool and place on a baking sheet in the freezer for 1 hour. Once frozen, place slices in freezer safe bag for up to 3 months.
- You can eat the skin of delicata squash so make sure to clean it well before roasting.
- If you have trouble slicing through the squash, use a sharp knife and try microwaving the whole squash for 30 seconds – 1 minute to help soften it up.
- To help remove the seeds, use your knife to cut around the seeds and then scoop out with a spoon.
This squash is delicious on it’s own but feel free to get creative with different seasonings. Here are a few suggestions:
- Maple syrup – Drizzle 1-2 tablespoon of maple syrup, and olive oil over the squash before baking.
- Brown sugar – Toss with oil and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Seasoning – I also like using seasoning salt or a little dried thyme.
Is roasted delicata squash healthy?
Yes, this variety of squash is very nutritious. It’s full of fiber and potassium, vitamin C, B and more.
More roasted vegetable recipes
- Air fryer broccoli – Roasted broccoli in minutes.
- Air fryer carrots – Lightly seasoned cooked carrots.
- Air fryer roasted asparagus – Tender crisp roasted asparagus.
- Air fryer mushrooms – Cooked mushrooms for a great side dish.
- Roasted cabbage – Roasted cabbage steaks or wedges.
*** If you made this recipe, feel free to leave a comment and star rating below.
Roasted Delicata Squash
- 2 delicata squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Wash squash. Cut off top and bottom of the squash. Cut down the middle lengthwise and scoop out seeds with a spoon.
- Slice into 1/2 inch semi-circle pieces.
- In a bowl, combine olive oil, salt and pepper. Add in squash slices and toss to coat.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place delicata squash slices on a lined baking sheet and cook for 15 minutes. Flip the squash over and cook another 10-15 minutes.
- Place delicata squash slices in air fryer basket. Cook at 400 degrees F for 5 minutes, flip over and cook another 5 minutes or until desired doneness.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.