Papa Johns Garlic Sauce
Jun 28, 2021
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Papa John’s garlic sauce is the perfect buttery dipping sauce for a slice of pizza. So simple to make, this garlic dipping sauce can be prepared in under 5 minutes.
If you are familiar with Papa John’s pizza you probably have tasted their delicious, creamy garlic dipping sauce. This recipe is a little different from the pasta garlic butter sauce that uses real butter and garlic cloves. This sauce recipe actually uses margarine and garlic powder instead.
The wonderful thing about making restaurant copycat recipes at home is that you can adjust to your own taste and make larger quantities. We sometimes fight over the little portions of sauce Papa John’s gives you so by making it at home, we can use as much as we want.
You only need three ingredients to make this yummy dipping sauce.
Margarine – Did you know that Papa John’s sauce uses margarine? They use margarine so that the sauce doesn’t solidify.
Garlic powder – This is what gives that wonderful garlic flavor. Make sure to use garlic powder, not granulated garlic. The amount of this can be adjusted to taste.
Salt – Just a pinch is needed.
How to make
This recipe is so simple and can be made on the stove or in the microwave.
- Place margarine in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. You could also place it in a small saucepan and melt over medium low heat on the stove.
- Once completely melted, stir in garlic powder and salt until dissolved.
- It’s now ready to serve.
Can I use butter instead of margarine?
Yes, you can definitely use butter instead of margarine for this recipe. Butter will give you a rich, delicious flavor.
If you decide to use butter I recommend using clarified butter. This helps prevent the butter from separating. Melt the butter on low in a saucepan. The milk solids will start to rise to the top. Remove the solids with a slotted spoon so that you are left with clear butter. Discard the solids and use only the clear butter for the recipe.
What to serve with this garlic sauce
This sauce is great for dipping pizza, breadsticks, or even using it to spread on garlic bread. You could also use it for:
- Steak – Drizzle on top of your cooked steak for a punch of flavor.
- Potatoes – Try mixing it into mashed potatoes for the best garlic mashed potatoes.
- Pasta – Toss with your favorite cooked pasta for an easy meal.
- Vegetables – Top roasted vegetables with a little drizzle of this sauce.
- Seafood – This sauce is perfect for thing like crab cakes, shrimp and fish.
How to store
Let the sauce completely cool before storing. Pour it in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. Reheat in the microwave for 20-30 seconds.
This sauce can also be frozen. Once it’s cooled, store in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months. This sauce can also poured in ice cube trays or a silicone mold, frozen and then place the cubes in a freezer safe container for easy portions.
Garlic – This calls for garlic powder but you can substitute with fresh garlic cloves. Minced garlic will add the most flavor. Try adding 2-3 minced cloves to replace the garlic powder.
Hot sauce – Want to spice it up? Try adding a dash of your favorite hot sauce for a little added heat.
Butter – If you decide to use butter, try using unsalted. If you do use salted, omit the salt from the recipe.
More dipping sauce recipes
Papa John’s Garlic Sauce
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Melt margarine in a microwave safe bowl for 20-30 seconds. You could also melt the margarine in a small saucepan over medium low heat on the stove.
- Stir in garlic powder and salt. Serve.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.