Homemade hot chocolate mix is so easy to make. No need for the store bought, prepacked mix. This hot cocoa is rich and creamy, perfect to warm you up on a cold day.
If you enjoy chocolate, be sure to check out these cake mix brownies, chocolate cherry cake, and hot chocolate poke cake.
Homemade mixes are so easy to make and the best part is they are budget friendly. It’s also great to know what ingredients are being used and that you are able to adjust taste.
What makes the recipe so good
Powdered Sugar – Powdered sugar dissolves nicely in the drink. You can substitute with granulated sugar in a pinch, but I would recommend going with powdered sugar.
Powdered Milk or Instant Dry Milk – This gives you a nice, creamy hot chocolate. You can typically find it in the baking aisle at the grocery store.
Cocoa powder – Use Dutch processed, unsweetened cocoa powder. I typically use the Hershey brand.
How to make homemade hot chocolate mix
Scroll to the bottom for the exact ingredients, directions and video.
- Mix: Pour powdered sugar, cocoa powder and powdered milk through a sifter into a bowl. This helps get out any lumps. (If you don’t have a sifter, don’t worry about it. Just whisk the ingredients well.)
- Whisk: Whisk together ingredients so they are combined and distributed.
- Serve or store: Use about 2 tablespoons of mixture for 8 oz. hot water or milk.
How to store
Store this mix in a jar or airtight container. If you keep this in a cool, dark place it will last for about 1 year.
- Cinnamon – Add 2 teaspoons of cinnamon to the mixture.
- Peppermint – Add crushed peppermint candy or a drop of peppermint extract to the hot chocolate.
- More chocolate – Add 1/4 cup of mini chocolate chips or white chocolate chips to the mixture for extra chocolate flavor.
- Sweet Heat – Try add a pinch of cayenne pepper for a little spice.
- Liqueur – Try adding a splash of Kalhua or Rumchata to your drink.
How to serve
I find that using about 2 tablespoons of hot chocolate mix for one cup of hot water works well. If you want it extra rich, add a little more mix.
Can you use hot milk? You can definitely substitute hot water with milk. Since there is powdered milk in the mixture, the drink would be extra creamy.
Toppings: Try adding mini marshmallows or whipped cream to top of your hot cocoa.
How to make hot chocolate mix without powdered milk
This mix can be made without powdered milk. Simply mix the powdered sugar and cocoa together and add to a warm cup of milk of choice.
Hot chocolate mix gift
This mix makes a wonderful gift for the holidays. Package it in a cut jar and some ribbon. I like to add mix to a jar and then add some mini marshmallows on top of the mix before adding the lid.
You could also add chocolate chips peppermint candy to the top of the mix for a cute teacher or neighbor gift.
More homemade spice mixes
- Sloppy Joe Mix – The perfect blend of spices to make the best sloppy joe’s.
- Chicken Seasoning – All-purpose seasoning for chicken, pork or vegetables.
- Jamaican Jerk Seasoning – Aromatic spices come together for this sweet and spicy blend.
- French Fry Seasoning – Spice up your fries with this homemade mix.
- Chili Seasoning – Made a big batch to keep on hand for making homemade chili.
Make this hot cocoa? Don’t forget to leave a comment and star rating below.
Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1.5 cups powdered milk
- Pour powdered sugar, cocoa powder and powdered milk through a sifter to help reduce lumps in mix.
- Whisk ingredients together until combined and evenly distributed.
- Store in airtight container.
- To make a cup of hot chocolate, add 2 tablespoons of mixture into cup of hot water and stir until dissolves.
Just made this recipe, just delicious!!
Just made this for. Family camping trip. Thanks
This sounds so easy. I would love to make it, as I buy from the store always. Homemade is best.
These would be great to pass as holiday gifts for my family so we can have a virtual holiday gathering
I love anything with chocolates and homemade chocolate mixes are the best. Just perfect for the holiday season!
We always love hot chocolate especially on christmas season.
Rose Ann Sales
Can’t wait to try this diy chocolate drink,as I love this beverage so much.
I love hot chocolate! This is so much better for the environment than the individual packets I usually buy. I’m excited to make this mix soon! I think it will be better on my wallet too.
Sounds great, I will definitely try this sometime, chocolate drinks is one of my pantry staple.
Making your own mixer will save your time on your future baking or cooking and I will start making my own, now! Thank you!
I love having a cup of hot chocolate during the cold months, but I haven’t tried making my own chocolate mix. Can’t wait to try your recipe.
Jennifer Van Haitsma
This sounds delicious and super easy. My little ones discovered hot chocolate last winter, so we’ll have to try this homemade version.
It’s so easy to make hot chocolate mix at home with your step by step recipe. And I have all the ingredients at home!
Yum! This sounds really delicious and comforting! My wife really loves hot chocolate and this will be perfect.
I have homemade hot chocolate daily. Looking forward to making this recipe for my family.
Terri Oliver Steffes
I need to start making my own ox so I can control the sugar in it. This looks so good.
Ohh now this sounds delicious, I bet it is so much nicer than some store bought mixes as after all isn’t everything homemade better?
I LOVE homemade Hot Chocolate!! I will defiantly try this! I also love Old Fashioned Potato Candy and everything else that comes with fall and winter!
With the weather getting colder it is going to be hot chocolate time so soon. I am sure this recipe is so much better than the store bought mixes.
I love making homemade hot chocolate for my grandkids. It’s so much better than the store bought powder!
I will have to make this. We go through lots of hot chocolate in the winter. This sounds tasty.
I enjoy making my own mixes and spices at home. And, my kids love hot chocolate now that the weather has turned colder. Making a batch of this today!