Homemade hot chocolate mix is so easy to make. No need for the store bought, prepacked mix. This hot cocoa is rich and creamy, perfect to warm you up on a cold day.
Homemade mixes are so easy to make and the best part is they are budget friendly. It’s also great to know what ingredients are being used and that you are able to adjust taste.
What makes the recipe so good
Powdered Sugar – Powdered sugar dissolves nicely in the drink. You can substitute with granulated sugar in a pinch, but I would recommend going with powdered sugar.
Powdered Milk or Instant Dry Milk – This gives you a nice, creamy hot chocolate. You can typically find it in the baking aisle at the grocery store.
Cocoa powder – Use Dutch processed, unsweetened cocoa powder. I typically use the Hershey brand.
How to make homemade hot chocolate mix
Scroll to the bottom for the exact ingredients, directions and video.
- Mix: Pour powdered sugar, cocoa powder and powdered milk through a sifter into a bowl. This helps get out any lumps. (If you don’t have a sifter, don’t worry about it. Just whisk the ingredients well.)
- Whisk: Whisk together ingredients so they are combined and distributed.
- Serve or store: Use about 2 tablespoons of mixture for 8 oz. hot water or milk.
How to store
Store this mix in a jar or airtight container. If you keep this in a cool, dark place it will last for about 1 year.
- Cinnamon – Add 2 teaspoons of cinnamon to the mixture.
- Peppermint – Add crushed peppermint candy or a drop of peppermint extract to the hot chocolate.
- More chocolate – Add 1/4 cup of mini chocolate chips or white chocolate chips to the mixture for extra chocolate flavor.
- Sweet Heat – Try add a pinch of cayenne pepper for a little spice.
- Liqueur – Try adding a splash of Kalhua or Rumchata to your drink.
How to serve
I find that using about 2 tablespoons of hot chocolate mix for one cup of hot water works well. If you want it extra rich, add a little more mix.
Can you use hot milk? You can definitely substitute hot water with milk. Since there is powdered milk in the mixture, the drink would be extra creamy.
Toppings: Try adding mini marshmallows or whipped cream to top of your hot cocoa.
How to make hot chocolate mix without powdered milk
This mix can be made without powdered milk. Simply mix the powdered sugar and cocoa together and add to a warm cup of milk of choice.
Hot chocolate mix gift
This mix makes a wonderful gift for the holidays. Package it in a cut jar and some ribbon. I like to add mix to a jar and then add some mini marshmallows on top of the mix before adding the lid.
You could also add chocolate chips peppermint candy to the top of the mix for a cute teacher or neighbor gift.
More homemade spice mixes
- Sloppy Joe Mix – The perfect blend of spices to make the best sloppy joe’s.
- Chicken Seasoning – All-purpose seasoning for chicken, pork or vegetables.
- Jamaican Jerk Seasoning – Aromatic spices come together for this sweet and spicy blend.
- French Fry Seasoning – Spice up your fries with this homemade mix.
- Chili Seasoning – Made a big batch to keep on hand for making homemade chili.
Make this hot cocoa? Don’t forget to leave a comment and star rating below.
Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1.5 cups powdered milk
- Pour powdered sugar, cocoa powder and powdered milk through a sifter to help reduce lumps in mix.
- Whisk ingredients together until combined and evenly distributed.
- Store in airtight container.
- To make a cup of hot chocolate, add 2 tablespoons of mixture into cup of hot water and stir until dissolves.