Easy chocolate cherry cake is a moist and delicious chocolate cake filled with cherries and topped with chocolate ganache. A great cake for any occasion!
Today I am sharing a cake for all of my fellow chocolate lovers. This chocolate cherry cake will satisfy those cravings with moist chocolate cake mixed with cherry pie filling and topped with a decadent ganache. Great dessert for the holidays!
I was first introduced to this cake when one of my mom’s best friends brought it over for us to try. She is such an amazing cook and I knew it was going to be delicious even before I tasted it. And of course I was right. Oh my goodness, this is one seriously good cake.
You will be surprised how easy this is to make. It’s what I like to call semi-homemade because we will be using a cake mix.
Cherry pie filling is also used to add moisture and of course tons of cherry flavor.
My favorite part is the incredible frosting. It really is the perfect “icing on the cake”.
Devils Food Cake Mix, cherry pie filling, eggs, vegetable oil, milk, almond extract, sugar, evaporated milk, butter, semi-sweet chocolate chips.
How to make chocolate cherry cake
Scroll to bottom for full printable recipe and ingredient list.
- Mix: Using an electric mixer, mix together cake mix, eggs, oil, milk, and almond extract.
- Fold: Fold in cherry pie filling and stir until combined.
- Bake: Pour batter into a 9×13 pan sprayed with non-stick spray and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Ganache: My favorite part is the chocolate ganache topping. In a saucepan heat evaporated milk, sugar and butter. Then stir in chocolate chips and almond extract.
- Spread it over the cake and you are done. It is smooth and fudgy and oh so chocolatey. And yes, I licked the bowl clean. 🙂
- Don’t have devil’s food cake mix, use chocolate instead.
- Have a nut allergy in your house, use vanilla extract instead of almond extract.
- Be sure to pour ganache over cake while the cake is still slightly warm. This helps it spread evenly.
How to store
This cherry cake will stay good at room temperature for 2-3 days and in the refrigerator for about one week.
To freeze, let completely cool and then wrap in plastic wrap and foil. It will stay good in the freezer for 2 months.
More delicious cake recipes
- Apricot Nectar Cake – This is a delicious, moist bundt cake made with apricot nectar.
- Pineapple Cake – One of my favorite cakes to make in the summer. Crushed pineapple and pineapple icing.
- 7-Up Cake – A classic cake with 7-Up.
- Orange Poke Cake – A beautiful and delicious poke cake.
- Chocolate Sheet Cake – Chocolate cake with a fudgy chocolate frosting.
If you made this cake be sure to leave a star rating below!
Easy Chocolate Cherry Cake
- 1 box devil's food cake mix
- 1 21 oz can cherry pie filling
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 9x13 pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix eggs, cake mix, oil, milk and almond extract.
- Fold cherry pie filling into the batter.
- Pour batter into greased baking pan.
- Bake 30-35 minutes.
- For Ganache: In a small saucepan bring sugar, evaporated milk and butter to a boil for one minute.
- Remove from heat and add chocolate chips and almond extract.
- Mix until smooth and pour over cake while cake and ganache are still warm.