For a quick and easy dinner that’s packed with flavor, just throw some frozen Trader Joe’s Orange Chicken in the air fryer! In fifteen minutes, you’ll have a delicious meal that’s even better than takeout.
I love using my air fryer to make frozen foods. It’s one of the easiest ways to cook meals like frozen burritos or frozen turkey burgers for a delicious meal on a busy weeknight. But I think making Trader Joe’s Orange Chicken in the air fryer might be my favorite of them all!
The chicken is fully cooked already, so all we have to do is warm it through and air fry the outside to crispy perfection. That’s why it only takes about fifteen minutes to cook frozen orange chicken in the air fryer.
This dish is so convenient when you’re in a hurry. It can serve between two and four people depending on the portion size, or you can save the leftovers for later in the week. They reheat beautifully in the air fryer.
Whenever I’m craving takeout, this simple recipe always does the trick. Best of all, it’s even faster than delivery or carry-out. I think it might even taste better, too!
This recipe couldn’t be simpler. If you have a pack of orange chicken in your freezer and an air fryer, you’re set.
Trader Joe’s Mandarin Orange Chicken – The chicken is fully cooked before it’s frozen.
Green onions and sesame seeds – These are optional to add on top as garnish.
How to make Trader Joe’s Orange Chicken In The Air Fryer
Step One: Spread the frozen orange chicken in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
Step Two: Cook at 400 degrees F for 5 minutes. Shake the basket to flip the chicken over, then cook at 400 degrees F for an additional 5 minutes or until heated through.
Step Three: Open the packets or orange sauce and pour it in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for about 20 seconds to warm.
Step Four: Transfer the cooked chicken to a bowl, then pour the thawed orange sauce over the chicken. Toss to completely coat, then garnish with diced green onions and sesame seeds if desired.
Orange Chicken Recipe Tips
- You don’t need to spray the air fryer basket. Because Trader Joe’s Orange Chicken is pre-cooked, the breading already contains some oil, which will keep it from sticking.
- Make sure to leave enough space between the orange chicken pieces so the air can properly circulate. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you might need to cook the chicken in 2 batches. You don’t want to overcrowd the basket.
- Use an Instant Read Thermometer to make sure the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. We want our chicken to be nice and hot all the way through.
- The frozen orange sauce can be heated in the microwave or in a small pot on the stove.
- If you’re craving classic chicken nuggets, skip the orange sauce and dip these crunchy bites in ranch, honey mustard, or BBQ sauce instead!
How to store leftover orange chicken
When I know I’m going to have a busy week, I like making enough orange chicken so I know I’ll have leftovers. It’s such a simple way to meal prep!
If you have extra chicken, allow it to cool to room temperature first. This will prevent condensation that could make the breading soggy. Next, place it in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to three days.
I recommend reheating the chicken in the air fryer at 350 degrees F for 4-5 minutes. This will re-crisp the outside so your orange chicken tastes as good as when you first made it!
What to serve with air fryer orange chicken
Here are a few options for some delicious sides to go with your chicken:
- Trader Joe’s cauliflower gnocchi
- Air Fryer Snow Peas
- Texas Roadhouse Seasoned Rice, white rice, fried rice, or brown rice
- Buttered Noodles
- Roasted Broccoli
More air fryer chicken recipes
- Air Fryer Chicken Legs – Juicy, crispy, and taste like fried chicken
- Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Strips – Even better than take-out
- Frozen Chicken Patties in Air Fryer – Great for sandwiches or wraps
- Frozen Popcorn Chicken in Air Fryer – Fast and easy dinner or snack
Did you make this air fryer frozen orange chicken? Let me know in the comments.
Trader Joe’s Orange Chicken In Air Fryer
- 1 22-ounce package Trader Joe's Frozen Mandarin Orange Chicken
- optional diced green onions, and or sesame seeds
- Spread the frozen orange chicken in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
- Cook at 400 degrees F for 5 minutes. Shake the basket to flip the chicken over, then cook at 400 degrees F for an additional 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Open the packets or orange sauce and pour it in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for about 20 seconds to warm.
- Transfer the cooked chicken to a bowl, then pour the thawed orange sauce over the chicken. Toss to completely coat, then garnish with diced green onions and sesame seeds if desired.
Leave a Reply