Best Buttered Egg Noodles
Oct 08, 2020, Updated Aug 22, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Buttered noodles are a simple side dish that can be made in ten minutes. Cooked in broth and butter, these noodles are delicious!
The Best Buttered Noodles
Want to know the secret to simple yet oh-so-delicious buttered noodles? By cooking them in broth and butter, they’ll soak up all that wonderful flavor and still be ready in just 10 minutes!
When it comes to simple, no-fuss comfort food, buttered noodles are one of my all-time favorites. Easy to make and delightfully delicious — what could be better?
We had buttered noodles at least once a week when I was growing up. They only require a few simple ingredients, plus they go with just about anything. You can serve them as a side, or throw some grilled chicken and steamed broccoli on top for a full meal.
But no one wants bland, boring noodles. That’s why I cook mine right in the broth and butter so they can soak up all that wonderful flavor! Best of all, they’re still ready in just 10 minutes.
Why you’ll love this Buttered Noodles Recipe
- No draining required! The egg noodles will soak up all that delicious broth and butter, so all you have to do is add everything to the pot and let them cook for about 8 minutes. Then you’re ready to serve!
- This recipe tastes just as good as the packaged butter noodles you buy from the store, but it costs a fraction of the price. And your family won’t be able to tell the difference!
- These noodles keep really well in the fridge! You can make a big batch, then enjoy them throughout the week whenever you need a quick snack or side.
- For an extra dash of flavor, feel free to throw in some chopped fresh parsley, a little Parmesan cheese, or even some red pepper flakes if you’re looking for a kick.
- Egg noodles – Choose your favorite egg noodles.
- Chicken broth – You can also substitute with vegetable broth.
- Butter – Sweet cream, unsalted butter.
- Seasonings – Garlic powder, salt and pepper
How to make Butter Noodles
- Use a large, deep skillet to cook the noodles. Bring broth and butter to a boil in the skillet and then add in egg noodles. I usually press down on the noodles to submerge them in the liquid.
- Unlike most pasta, these noodles soak up all of the flavorful broth and are not drained. Cook them for about 8 minutes and then turn off the heat. Stir in more butter, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Give the noodles a stir until all of the butter has melted. Want to give them a little extra something? Try sprinkling on some Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley.
How to store
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat in a skillet or in the microwave. Tip: I like to add a splash of chicken broth when reheating to prevent them from being dry.
How are egg noodles different from regular pasta?
Ever wondered why they are called egg noodles? Regular pasta and egg noodles are both made with a mix of wheat and eggs. Egg noodles are made with a hight proportion of eggs to wheat than traditional pasta. They are usually long flat strips that can vary in length.
All you need is a large skillet to make this recipe. I use this non-stick skillet at home. If you don’t have a large skillet, a stockpot works well.
What to serve with egg noodles
Here are a few of my favorite main dishes that pair well with egg noodles:
- Meatloaf Meatballs
- Baked Chicken Breast
- Slow Cooker Shredded Beef
- Slow Cooker Mississippi Chicken
- Polish Sausage Skillet
Buttered noodles satisfy even the pickiest of eaters. If you want to change it up, add some grated Parmesan cheese, chicken, shrimp, or even some cooked vegetables.
More easy pasta recipes
- Cream cheese pasta – Creamy sauce made with cream cheese served over pasta.
- Green pasta sauce – Tasty and nutritious sauce made with spinach.
- Garlic butter with pasta – Super easy butter sauce.
- Mostaccioli – Baked pasta dish with sausage, cheese, and pasta.
- Buffalo chicken pasta – Creamy, cheesy, chicken pasta bake.
If you try this dish make sure to give it a star rating below.
- 1 12 oz Bag of Wide Egg Noodles
- 1 32 oz Chicken Broth
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- chopped fresh parsley optional
- In a large skillet bring chicken broth and 4 tablespoons of butter to a boil.
- Pour in noodles and stir to make sure they are all covered with broth.
- Boil for 8 minutes. Turn off heat and add in remaining 4 tablespoons of butter, garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste. Stir until butter is melted.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.