Buttered noodles are a simple side dish that can be made in ten minutes. Cooked in broth and butter, these noodles are delicious!
We had these at least once a week when I was growing up. They are so easy to make and only require a few simple ingredients and go with just about anything. Sometimes we would have add some grilled chicken and steamed broccoli on top for a full meal.
For this recipe you will need: egg noodles, chicken broth, butter, garlic powder, salt and pepper
How to make buttered noodles
- Instead of using a large pot, I recommend cooking these noodles in a large skillet. Bring broth and butter to a boil and then submerge the egg noodles. I usually have to press down on the noodles to get them completely submerged.
- Unlike most pasta, these noodles soak up all of the flavorful broth and are not drained. Cook them for about 8 minutes and then turn off the heat. Stir in more butter, a little garlic powder and a touch of salt and pepper to taste.
- Give them a good stir until all of the butter has melted. Want to give them a little extra something? Sprinkle on some Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley.
How are egg noodles different from regular pasta?
Ever wondered why they are called egg noodles? Regular pasta and egg noodles are both made with a mix of wheat and eggs. Egg noodles are made with a higher proportion of eggs to wheat than traditional pasta. They are usually long flat strips that can vary in length.
You may need…
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thanks so much for being a part of Food Lovin’ Family.
All you need is a large skillet to make this recipe. I use this non-stick skillet at home. If you don’t have a large skillet, a stockpot works also works well.
What to serve with buttered noodles:
Here are a few of my favorite main dishes that pair well with egg noodles.
You might also like to try these noodles with this tasty Meatloaf from Whisk it Real Gud.
This dish satisfies even the pickiest of eaters. If you want change it up, add some freshly grated Parmesan, chicken or some cooked vegetables. As the old saying goes, every thing is better with butter. Enjoy!
*If you try this dish make sure to give it a star rating below.
- 1 12 oz Bag of Wide Egg Noodles
- 1 32 oz Chicken Broth
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- chopped fresh parsley optional
- In a large skillet bring chicken broth and 4 tablespoons of butter to a boil.
- Pour in noodles and stir to make sure they are all covered with broth.
- Boil for 8 minutes. Turn off heat and add in remaining 4 tablespoons of butter, garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste. Stir until butter is melted.