Jiffy Cornbread Recipe is a delicious semi-homemade recipe that results in the most wonderful cornbread you have tasted.
Cornbread was a staple in our family growing up in the south. My mom would either make biscuits or Jiffy cornbread to go along with our meals.
The big debate was always to make it sweet or not sweet. Me, having a love for sugar, would always ask for a little sweetness while my dad would want just plain.
My mom would make this delicious and moist base recipe and then I would add a little honey.
One thing I have found growing up in the south is that everyone has their own favorite cornbread recipe. There are so many different versions from cooking method, to ingredients, to dipping it in milk before you take a bite.
This is just a good base recipe. Feel free to make your own changes and additions if you like.
Why add anything to the mix? It’s great on it’s own but these few extra ingredients adds moisture and a nice buttery flavor.
Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix – The base for this recipe.
Eggs – This is part of the standard recipe.
Butter – Adds rich flavor.
Sour Cream – Add creaminess and richness.
Milk – Helps keep the bread moist.
How to make Jiffy Cornbread
- Begin by whisking together eggs and sour cream.
- Stir in milk to the mixture.
- Slowly add in melted butter.
- Stir in the Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix.
- Add leftover melted butter to bottom of baking dish and spread batter in dish. Bake at 400 degrees until top is golden brown.
What can you add to cornbread?
This recipe is great on it’s own, especially with a little bit of butter on top when it comes right out of the oven.
These are a few suggestions you can add into the batter before baking.
- Cheese – Add a little bit of your favorite shredded cheese. I would recommend about 1/2 cup.
- Honey – To give a little sweetness, add 2 tablespoon of honey in batter or drizzle on top.
- Sugar – You could add 1-2 tablespoons into the batter.
- Creamed corn – This will add a lot of moisture to the bread.
- Diced green chilis – I love adding green chilis and 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder for a little added spice.
How to reheat
You can reheat in the microwave or oven. In the microwave, place a paper towel on top of the bread and cook for 15-30 seconds.
For the oven, reheat at 350 degrees F. Make sure to cover the bread with foil so the top doesn’t get more brown. Bake for about 10 minutes or until desired warmth.
Is it gluten free?
No, there is wheat flour in the corn muffin mix.
More side dishes
Sweet Corn Cake is another version of a corn bread.
Corn Salad is a cool salad perfect for summer. Filled with fresh corn and vegetables.
Southern Fried Corn is a family favorite. Corn kernels cooked with bacon and onion.
***If you made this recipe, please feel free to leave a comment and rating.
Jiffy Cornbread Recipe
- 2 boxes Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup butter Reserve 2 tablespoons for the bottom of baking dish.
- 2/3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Whisk together eggs and sour cream in a large bowl.
- Stir in milk and slowly add melted butter.
- Stir in corn muffin mix until combined.
- Cover bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish with reserved melted butter. You could also use non-stick spray.
- Spread batter in dish and bake for 25-30 minutes or until top is golden brown.