Jiffy Cornbread Recipe is a delicious semi-homemade recipe that results in the most wonderful cornbread you have tasted.
You will love this Jiffy Cornbread Recipe
Ready to experience the most wonderful cornbread you’ve ever tasted? This 5-ingredient Jiffy cornbread recipe is moist, fluffy, and ready in just 35 minutes! It’s a fool-proof dish that will have everyone reaching for seconds (and thirds)!
Despite being a staple side dish, cornbread can be tough to perfect. If you’re sick of your labors turning out crumbly, bland, or just not-quite-right, then you have to try my 5-ingredient Jiffy cornbread recipe!
Cornbread should be moist, fluffy, and indulgently buttery without being overly greasy. I searched for a long time to find my ideal version that would satisfy my Virginia roots but didn’t require spending hours in the kitchen.
Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix to the rescue! This is what I like to call a semi-homemade recipe, where we use a pre-made mix but also make it our own. It’s great for consistency and cuts back on prep time. Win-win!
The result is a fool-proof recipe that can be ready to serve in 35 minutes. So even if you suddenly find out you have surprise guests stopping by, as long as you have some Jiffy in your pantry, you can have warm cornbread ready to greet them by the time they arrive!
Is this cornbread recipe sweet?
Growing up in the south, there was always a big debate about whether to make the cornbread sweet or not sweet. With my love of sugar, I would ask for a little sweetness while my dad preferred his plain.
To compromise, my mom would make a delicious and moist base recipe. Once I had my piece, I would add a little honey to get that perfect sweetness. It was divine!
That’s why I decided to make this version a simple base recipe without any added sweetness. You’re more than welcome to make your own changes or additions if you like! It’s completely customizable to your tastes.
Jiffy Cornbread Sour Cream Ingredients
It’s true that you could just mix the Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix with some eggs and toss it in the oven. However, I find that adding some additional ingredients really takes the cornbread to the next level!
On its own, the mix can turn out a bit crumbly and bland. A few simple additions add some much-needed moisture and give it that nice buttery flavor that makes each slice so irresistible.
- Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix – The base for this recipe.
- Eggs – This is part of the standard recipe.
- Butter – Adds rich flavor.
- Sour Cream – Adds creaminess and richness.
- Milk – Helps to keep the bread moist.
Jiffy Cornbread Instructions
The instructions on a box of Jiffy call for using the mix, an egg, and milk. We are adding in a few extra ingredients to get the most moist, delicious bread possible.
How to make Jiffy Cornbread with Sour Cream
- Begin by whisking together eggs and sour cream.
- Stir in milk to the mixture.
- Slowly add in melted butter.
- Stir in the Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix.
- Add leftover melted butter to bottom of the baking dish and spread batter in the dish. Bake at 400 degrees F until the top starts to turn golden brown.
Jiffy Cornbread Recipe Add-Ins
This recipe is great on it’s own, especially with a little bit of butter on top when it comes right out of the oven.
These are a few suggestions you can add into the batter before baking.
- Cheese – Add a little bit of your favorite shredded cheese. I would recommend about 1/2 cup.
- Honey – To give a little sweetness, add 2 tablespoons of honey in the batter or drizzle on top.
- Sugar – You could add 1-2 tablespoons into the batter.
- Creamed corn – This will add a lot of moisture to the bread.
- Diced green chilis – I love adding green chilis and 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder for added spice.
How to store
Store any leftover cornbread in an airtight container. If you will be eating in 1-2 days, it’s ok to leave at room temperature. To keep it longer, store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Reheating this Jiffy Cornbread Recipe with Sour Cream
You can reheat in the microwave or oven. In the microwave, place a paper towel on top of the bread and cook for 15-30 seconds.
For the oven, reheat at 350 degrees F. Make sure to cover the bread with foil so the top doesn’t get more brown. Bake for about 10 minutes or until desired warmth.
Jiffy Cornbread Recipe FAQ
Is this Jiffy Cornbread with Sour Cream recipe gluten free?
No, there is wheat flour in the corn muffin mix.
How do you make Jiffy corn muffin mix more moist?
The addition of sour cream helps to add moisture to this cornbread.
Can sour cream replace milk in cornbread?
Sour cream is used in addition to milk in this cornbread recipe. I recommend still using milk for this recipe. You can substitute the milk with water.
What can I make with Jiffy corn muffin mix?
This cornbread mix can be used in a variety or recipes like corn pudding, corn muffins, or a tamale pie.
More side dishes
Sweet Corn Cake is another version of corn bread
Corn Salad is a cool salad perfect for summer. Filled with fresh corn and vegetables.
Southern Fried Corn is a family favorite. Corn kernels cooked with bacon and onion.
Jiffy Cornbread with Sour Cream Recipe
- 2 boxes Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup butter Reserve 2 tablespoons for the bottom of baking dish.
- 2/3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Whisk together eggs and sour cream in a large bowl.
- Stir in milk and slowly add melted butter.
- Stir in corn muffin mix until combined.
- Cover bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish with reserved melted butter. You could also use non-stick spray.
- Spread batter in dish and bake for 25-30 minutes or until top is golden brown.